Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the dogs will eat anything. But lately, the cats refuse the stuff with Omega oils!

Another thread about a Cat Smoothie(tm) ;) got me thinking... how many sardines per week is enough for these things? And are cooked sardines okay? Or raw only? Even though the cats shouldn't have fish often, if 2+ times a week enough?

·
Banned
119 Posts
My Pico absolutely hated it, our transition to raw actually regressed when I introduced it to her meal. Harley love it though... I'm not sure what to do. For now, I just don't put it in her food.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Typically in the containers of sardines I get there are 4-5 in each. For most of mine a sardine is good for a week...but it depends on if they are longhaired or shorthaired. The longhaired ones (especially Chester) need 2 a week.

I use this brand: http://www.brunswick.ca/brunswick/canad ... inpage.asp which has one packed in water w/ no salt added. However that doesn't seem to be showing up on their site...

I use sardines for a few reasons. First, with 18 cats eating raw, it is hard to add fish oil to their food. Second, they LOVE sardines and they work very well. Third, I just love feeding them sardines. It is so much easier to make sure each cat gets at least one than to have to add oil to their food...

·
Registered
305 Posts
furryfriends, where do you get your sardines? Every time I look around in the grocery store they always have sardines in oil or tomato sauce.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys.

We actually bought an Omega sup. from the vet (no smell), and they still refuse. :(

So I think the next step is sardines! They love those, I think we'll go with two a week until we get good coats then switch to one. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
catlady2010 said:
furryfriends, where do you get your sardines? Every time I look around in the grocery store they always have sardines in oil or tomato sauce.
I get mine from Safeway if that makes any differance. They have a lot of differant brands and flavors, if thats what you call them, but I like the Brunswick ones.

They are more smushy and it makes it easy to mix with food if I want to. Lately I have been mixing a can of sardines with the bucket of food which is about 3 lbs of meat. So far it has been working very well, but I might switch back to once a week. I decided I don't want them to get addicted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts