Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this heat wave we are having here in the midwest is unbearable. Today is the hottest day forcast so far. My a/c is having difficulty cooling the place too. Yesterday it got to 91 inside with a/c running. I shudder to think what it will get to today with it running. And it is hotter outsdie today then it was yesterday.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Here it's not so bad but tomorrow....I don't want to even say what it's going to be! 93 degrees! 8O 8O 8O 8O The rest of the week will be in the 90's. 8O 8O 8O 8O Good thing next next week it'll be in the 80's. I hope you stay cool everyone. Hopefully the a/c will help more. You could always try putting ice cubes down your back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Here in Wisconsin, its supposed to be 97-100 degrees tomorrow! 8O

Worst of all, I don't have any A/C to keep me cool. :(

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's a toasty 103 today!!!

AND, it's the start of monsoon season, so it's humid! You wouldn't think that'd be too bad, but we use evaporative coolers. They work by putting humidity into the air. They're only effective in REALLY low humidity.
So, basically, I have no AC......

Luckily it will cool off to about 67 tonight! And once the rains come, it will cool down the afternoons. They just haven't made it over the mountains in a week or so.

Jennifer

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I dread tomorrow. It's supposed to be 102 degrees with a heat index (heat + humidity) of 110. Added to that, we are in the middle of a drought that is the most severe since they started to take records. I am most definately housebound all day.

It hasn't been this hot since 1995 in Chicago where it got to 106 and the heat index rose above 120 on July 13, 1995 (I Googled this info). They also said that there were 739 more deaths in the Chicagoland area above the normal death expectancy. The whole month of July was in the 90's to 100 range.

I remember it well because my A/C decided to go belly up that week & I had to grab my cats & go live with my sister till I could get a new A/C installed.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
It is 93 and very humid right now. Thank goodness for central air.
It has been extremely hot and humid for so many days and has hardly rained. The lawn is so dry and I have to water the flowers and veggie garden constantly. The tomatoes seem to like that heat, that is one good thing.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Lori said:
The tomatoes seem to like that heat, that is one good thing.
Yeah, tomatoes and cochroaches!!! Slimey red things :mrgreen:

Yeah, the drought does concern me, but then we're going on a 10yr drought!!!

Actually what does scare me is that we did have a wet spring, so lots of growth, then nothing, no rain at all. Now it's so dry that we have lightening sparked fires all over the place. And, I've got a big wide open Mesa behind my house!

·
Registered
116 Posts
We had a high of 100 today with a heat index of 110. In Alabama, our hot days are always hot and humid. I had to work at a theme park where we had the biggest crowd of the year. After an hour lugging things back and forth between two sections of the park, I almost overheated and had to take a break while we had a line out the door for three hours straight. We sold so many Icees...:) I'm very glad we have a great AC in my apartment.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blinkin'_cat said:
Are you using a window a/c? If so have you closed off some of the doors to make it more effective?
I have both a window a/c and central air 8O . Neither is having an easy time. The only time is cool enought is at night or when it is cloudy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have been having high temps hanging around between 95-105 for the past 6 weeks...a brief cooler day here and there: usually when we have that rare bit of rain.

I don't like heat and will avoid it at all costs. Our electric bill is running over $500 just to keep it around 78 in the house...greedy a/c! I feel for my kids, as the upstairs is even hotter...but I guess they tolerate it better than I do. I avoid driving during the day if I can. My garage is full of my husband's computer junk, so my poor car sits in the driveway. Last time I drove during the day, the thermometer indicated that it was 112 degrees outside and 139 inside the car. Ouch! The 112 is just because the car itself sucks up the heat...not the true "air" temp. Regardless, I believe it was 139 inside...I forgot to put the reflector up in the windshield. :oops:

Texas summer...gotta love it! 8)
.Come.On.Winter.!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am so jealous Misty... :wink:

I have a very good friend (e-pal) who lives in southern England. He complained about the heat a few weeks ago, saying it was up to 84 degrees. :roll:

Heck, we have had 84 degree temps in December :lol:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Misty, How bout I visit u until the summer is over.... :lol:

The temp is only 89.6 but the heat index is 98 w/58% humidity. I think it wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have the humidity, that is what gets ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts