Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cannot afford to feed a full wet diet so am feeding half and half.
The wet food is grain free and up until 2weeks ago the dry was Chicken Soup for the kitten's soul.
Well she had the most STINKY poops imaginable! and horrible gas, and started having more frequent loose stools (some blood as well) so after a trip to the vet I decided that I needed a grain free dry as well and chose Before Grain.....
Well two weeks flies by and the difference is like night and day! Stools are firm so much less stinky, she has no gas, and just seems happier!
I got her freeze dried chicken and beef liver for treats as well and she goes nuts for them!
I'm so impressed and can't believe that that one little change could make such a difference! I couldn't imagine how things would be on raw but sadly it's not a possibility right now.
I just thought I'd share my success on going grain free!!:eek:nekitty

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yup, food can make a big difference in all sorts of physical aspects. After switching to a better food at the shelter, one cat went from being "grungy" (several volunteers thought she was old...about 10+ and she's really only 3 or so), to having a nice sleek and shiny pelt.

I had to switch to a nearly grain-free kibble for Paizly. I can't afford the totally grain free, but the one I have now only has rice...and that's the 3rd ingredient (after chicken & chicken meal). Now she only throws up once a week or so, rather than every other day.
Her poop stinks more, but scooping is way easier than mopping up vomit and having to shampoo the carpet all the time with the Spot Bot.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm glad to hear your cats are doing much better on the grain-free. I too noticed a difference when I switched mine to grain-free...not so much in their stools (I never had issues with that), but in their coat quality.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There's something else you can do that may make a HUGE difference in your cat's overall health, and that's mixing warm water into her canned food meals to make them "canned food soup" that she can lap up. The extra hydration can do amazing things, the most obvious of which is to vastly improve coat softness, shininess, and smoothness. Try it and see if you notice a difference in her coat. If you do see improvement in her coat, just imagine the wonderful effects the extra hydration is having on her insides, as well.

Laurie

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh yes I've been adding hot water with all subsequent feedings after the can's been refridgerated. I'm still working on upping the amount of canned as she still doesn't eat as much as I would like her to (only a 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can a day right now). With the previous issues I was hesitant to try different brands but now that everything is settled and I'm running low on the GO grain free I'll go find a few different ones to try and see if that helps entice her as well. I just couldn't get over the difference in the stools though! Who knew cat poop/smell would be so interesting LOL :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Is that Leelu as your avatar? She's a doll! :) Great to hear that she has taken so well to a better diet, it's very satisfying, isn't it?

Just a note about food quantities - pet food manufacturers tend to overstate how much to feed (surprise, surprise!), I think your kitty is probably eating just the right amount at a quarter can. We portion our Gracie's meals to about an ounce or an ounce plus a tenth of an ounce, basically the size of a small mouse :). Cats have small stomaches.

We do feed raw, just for dinner, FYI, and I freeze portions in an ice cube tray. It does not work out to be too expensive. Her other meal is canned, for convenience plus the variety of meat that canned can offer as opposed to what I can find in the markets...

Fran

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Congrats on going grain-free canned and I'm thrilled yer enjoying the huge difference it's made! Glad to hear Leelu is taking to it so readily, as well...I bet she feels so much better too! :D I know I was amazed when I did the switch myself, and I know what you mean about the litter boxes and stools...it may not be pretty to talk about, but I can't smell anything coming outta those things anymore. :p My Alice had loose stools as well, but a switch to grain-free (and now to raw) has completely cleared up any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts