Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the storm has passed!

I thought I would post a small update on Meenu since I last posted about our anal gland issues (yuck!).

We were given antibiotics which gave her diarreha that, although not deemed bad enough for a vet visit (according to the vet), was bad enough to scare her from using her litterbox. Since then the diarreha has ceased. It did take a few days after the antibios were stopped for the diarreha to go away.

At the same time as this was going on, she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She was quite thin despite her fairly average appetite (one 5.5oz can of wet food and half a cup of dry food daily, with treats for being such a good kitty!). We were given some pills to start her on, and since then she has already gained weight in the 3 odd weeks she has been on it (up to ` 1 lbs already!).

Although the diarreha has ceased, she still is a little confused as how to use her litter box. The funny thing is she will use it, but I have to physically put her in it before she does! As soon as I pick her up and put her in she will squat and do her thing. We haven't had an accident in a little while (aka a few days not quite a week yet), but I do not want to have a cat that needs to be taken to the washroom like a dog lol! Of course, I will definitely take this over a random accident on the floor though. Has anyone had this happen with their cat?

I have tried moving the box closer to where the accidents happen; using cat litter attractant (didnt help much); COMPLETELY washing the entire area she lives by treating messes with Cardinal Pheromone Stain & Odor Remover (I recommend this as she did not have another accident after I started using this product... I got it at walmart for approx $15.00); cleaning the carpet with a bissel and specific animal stain and odor remover shampoo; washing any blankets she has messed on in hot water and after treating it with the pheromone solution; using pee pads in case of messes.

I figure that because she is now going in her box (even though with my help), we do not have to change the box itself... but I am not sure.

Just wonder what everyone else thinks?

Meenu & her Mommy :crazy

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'd give her a couple weeks... hopefully when you keep putting her in the box and praising her for using it, she'll start using it again on her own. Yay for no recent accidents and a healthy kitty!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Does she just have the one box? I would buy a new second one if she doesn't.....she may be more attracted by that, and perhaps put it in a different location. Did you try the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts