Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The litterbox retraining goes well. After about 3 weeks of using a kitty condo Tiikiri actually asks to use his litterbox! He loves the recycled corn cob litter. Even though it's a mess, if it works I am sticking to it.
I also think I managed to destroy the urine smell after multiple treatments in the spare bedroom. This makes me very happy.
Tiikiri is the boldest cat I have ever owned. He's not afraid of the devil himself and is full of P&V! He is everything I wanted as far as true Siamese temperament.

Going off on a tangent. I am very upset with my father's care of (formerly my) cat Annabelle. I saw her last weekend for the first time in about 7 months.
Why do they have my cat? Long story short, my mother has alzheimer's disease. She's pretty much mentally gone, but 3 years ago when mom was better they decided they wanted a cat. My mother could remember and say Annabelle's name since I had owned her for 15 years. They also wanted an older, laid back kitty. Dad asked me for Annabelle as basically therapy for my mom. I thought about it and allowed her to go.
The first two years were fine, but this last year as mom has gotten worse Annabelle has gotten neglected. She is an indoor/outdoor cat but mostly indoors. She got fleas, after all this IS Florida. Dad didn't control the fleas and poor Annabelle is torn up from bites AND appeared to have a tapeworm. She was emaciatedly thin.
I went to the pet store, bought frontline plus for cats, a standard wormer, a tapeworm wormer, and Adam's flea spray for the house. I also got her a big bag of Orijin cat food to try to help her recover her weight.
I still love Annabelle! She's 18 now and it's very hard to see her in such bad shape. However, I cannot reclaim her because my mother would freak out. She loves the cat and the cat is a little light in her dim, small world.
It's a hard situation. I hope that after the flea and worm treatment I gave her she will recover and be more comfortable. It's hard to get dad to take care of Annabelle because he feels overwhelmed caring for my mother.
Bad situation there... just venting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm so sorry about your mother's Alzheimer's. Hopefully you got Annabelle back on track, now that the fleas are gone. It was good of you to share her with them...I'm sure she's good therapy for your dad as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
(sighs) I understand your situation... And I praise you for your effort.

But I also have to say, even tho I love my mom.. I would never let her have my 18 yr. old cat.. but then I have seen how my mom takes care of her pets.. they end up flea ridden and skinny... and the stink in her house... I just couldn't do that to my Sherbert.

I wish you lots of luck , and Keep visiting the kitty your probably HER therapy, and take treats..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(sighs) I understand your situation... And I praise you for your effort.

But I also have to say, even tho I love my mom.. I would never let her have my 18 yr. old cat.. but then I have seen how my mom takes care of her pets.. they end up flea ridden and skinny... and the stink in her house... I just couldn't do that to my Sherbert.

I wish you lots of luck , and Keep visiting the kitty your probably HER therapy, and take treats..
We had all sorts of pets growing up and they were always cared for and lived into their teens. I did NOT think that Annabelle would end up in such poor shape. She was 15 when I let them have her, it has only been this last year that they let her go. As my mom's disease progressed rapidly the cat has suffered because of it.
I hope that I can get her back on track. I live 5 hours south of them so I don't drive up that often.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
My mom took care of my ailing grandfather for the last two years of his life and while he didn't have Alzheimer's he was quite confused most of the time.

Often he would ask for people/things that had been gone for many years. He was always asking where 'Margie' was. That was my grandmother. She had passed on about 23 years before. At first my mother would tell him the truth but it just upset him. It was like she had just died all over again so after a while we wouldn't do that. We would tell him "she's at the store"...."she's playing canasta with Peggy" ...... "she went to a lady's aid meeting"....anything to appease his mind and settle him down.

Wouldn't it be possible to do that if you took the cat home? Just tell her "She's outside" ....."She's using the litterbox" ....."She's eating her dinner"..... ? She couldn't be put off like that indefinitely?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sorry if I sounded critical, That was not my intention. Alzheimer's takes a major toll on everyone. I had a great aunt that suffered with it, its never a pretty thing.

it is generous that you let them have the cat, but maybe, just maybe, it would take a load off your dad NOT to have to worry about the kitty. If he is overwelmed enough to let her get this way. With so much going on, he may not notice a age related issue with an 18 year old cat.

At the same time, having a cat around can be relaxing for him. I know your mom knows Annabelle, but maybe a younger cat, maybe 4 or 5 years, could take the strain better. I don't know.

Yes its a hard thing to decide and I do not envy you the choice. Just do what you can, hope your mom Stays lucid for long periods, your dad doesn't get overwelmed, and Annabelle get the attention she deserves after so many years of unconditional love.

Good Luck hon. We are all here if you just need a rant ..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Maybe to make things a bit easier for your dad, get a 6-8 month flea collar so he doesnt have to remember drops, and one of those food holders that holds enough food for at least a week. (and dispenses it every day, or just fills up as it gets empty)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe to make things a bit easier for your dad, get a 6-8 month flea collar so he doesnt have to remember drops, and one of those food holders that holds enough food for at least a week. (and dispenses it every day, or just fills up as it gets empty)

The flea collars are so nasty.
The auto feeder is a good idea though.
Annabelle is a very sweet cat, and she is loved. She is an "only child" in their home so she does get a lot of affection. She would probably freak out here with 4 large dogs and another cat. If I had a larger home I would consider tricking mom and getting her back.
I will have a larger home within a year actually as our condo is on the market and we have made an offer on a decent sized house on almost an acre of land.
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and support. It's been really hard with mom.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I agree with the flea collar thing. i put one on Blackjack and overnight he lost all the hair on his neck and it has never grown back.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I agree with the flea collar thing. i put one on Blackjack and overnight he lost all the hair on his neck and it has never grown back.
<___< My dad's cat (and sometimes mom's cats) have worn flea collars for years with no problems whatsoever...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts