Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I had only one in the house I only had on box! Good kitty, very neat and clean. Have two in the house now, have two boxes. They primarily use one, but the second gets used occasionally, so I leave it available!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I only use one box for my one cat. I personally do not think more that that is needed unless:
it's a huge house
the cat has litter box issues
the cat is elderly, ill, or infirm

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
When I had all four girls, I had two litter boxes. When I had three girls, I had two, but they mostly used one of them, not the other. So when I moved, I only put one out. I scoop 2-3 times a day, and it works for them. This "rule" that you have to have one for each cat and a spare is really ridiculous. That means when I had four girls I should have had 5 litter boxes. I can see putting extra boxes out if the cats are new or there's a problem, but besides that, it's a judgment call.

Reactions: karenmorr and Mosi

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, I too am defying the Plus One Litterbox Laws. Started with 3, cut down to 2, now have 1. If I had 42 cats, I'd rather scoop 1 box 42 times a day rather than have multiple litter boxes. Nobody was using the other ones anyways. I am now a firm believer in "If it ain't broke... don't fix it!".

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I had all four girls, I had two litter boxes. When I had three girls, I had two, but they mostly used one of them, not the other. So when I moved, I only put one out. I scoop 2-3 times a day, and it works for them. This "rule" that you have to have one for each cat and a spare is really ridiculous. That means when I had four girls I should have had 5 litter boxes. I can see putting extra boxes out if the cats are new or there's a problem, but besides that, it's a judgment call.
Could it possibly be a way for the manufacturers to sell more litter? Naaaaahhh…. 🤨

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
I'm not sure how it started, but in my experience, the "rule" comes from fellow cat owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two for one cat but only because back when we had one box he had a bout of loose stools and the one box filled up and he went outside the box and made a mess. So now there’s two. He rarely uses the second box though.

·
Registered
Raja, ~1.5 year, male, American Mediumhair | Kiara, 4 months, female, American Shorthair
7 Posts
I have one cat and two litterboxes. I have had the two since getting him three months ago I don't have any other experiences to compare it to but it seems to work out well for us. I have noticed that he uses one of them more frequent than the other, but he does use both

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 5 cats and 4 litterboxes. The two big ones (on the living floor) are the ones they use the most. The two smaller ones (on the basement/office) they seldom use (sometimes it goes 2 or 3 days without being used, specially the one in a more secluded area of the house). I notice they use more these "forgotten" ones when I change the litter and then they forget about them for a while. Probably they want to put heir scent on the freshly washed and changed box and as soon as it is theirs again, they go for the preferred ones. I scoop once or twice a day but the boxes that are used more often can get additional scoops if I see they need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.