Cat Forum banner

One cat or two?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kty78 
#1 ·
I keep thinking maybe it would be a good idea to get 2 cats or kittens so they would have someone to play with when we're gone during the day. Not that I work long hours, I work at a school from 7-2 through the week. My only drawback is the added expense. But I notice the 12 ounce cans of cat food are not much more than the 6 ounce online. I don't know. Maybe I should get one and add another later if I decide to. I have seen some bonded pairs for adoption. They would have to be good with kids and I don' t know how well an adult cat would tolerate my noisy family. Thought maybe a kitten could grow up with the chaos and get used to it. But if the cats grew up with kids they should be fine too. I'm kind of torn.

#2 ·
I think the best thing to do would be to talk to a rescue or shelter and tell them about your situation. They should be able to find a cat or cats to fit your needs. They may have a pair of cats that came from a house that had kids. Pairs are more difficult to adopt out, so you would be doing a great service by adopting a bonded pair. Adding a cat later may prove to be more difficult than getting a bonded pair as well.

Keep in mind the expense of vet bills, also. They should already be spayed/neutered and vet checked, but you never know what kind of unexpected health problems may pop up.

I buy the big 13oz cans for my only child cat, and he still goes through them pretty quickly. The canned food really does add up fast. I feed raw once a day and I am still surprised at how much i spend on cans. Remember that a kitten is going to eat up to twice as much as an adult cat, so food expense for a kitten would be more as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck and keep us posted!

#3 ·
Yes, definitely the vet bills are part of the added expense I was thinking of. It's not that I couldn't do it, it's just something to consider, you know? I have been looking at cat trees and found some great deals on amazon, I don't know if the one I like would be overkill for 1-2 cats. But I think it would be better to get the bigger one than wind up with one that is too small and have to upgrade soon....

#4 ·
Amazon.com: GoPetClub Cat Tree Condo Scratcher Post Pet Bed Furniture F2040-Blue: Pet Supplies

I know, it's big. I looked at the dimensions and I have a corner of my living room it would go in and I was also looking at the wider, heavier ones because our house is old and the floors are slightly unlevel so I thought it might be more stable than the narrower ones. But is it too much for one or possibly 2 cats? I know they like a high platform. I'm sure company will think I'm crazy cat lady with that thing in my house but that's okay. My friends and family already know me and won't be too shocked. LOL. I always did spoil my pets. My kids have a trampoline, a bounce house and a swing set...

#5 ·
It is a very good thing you are thinking this trough so well in advance. In your heart, would you rather have one cat or two ?

If you get just one cat you might have to give it more attention, but your work hours seem to permit that. If you decide to go with just one cat you could get a cat that doesn't enjoy the company of other cats and give it the home it has always wanted, where it can be the only cat, the center of attention. A shelter or rescue should be able to find such a cat for you.
Some cats are very social towards other cats and a human cannot completely replace the need for feline companionship for such a cat, so that is the kind of cat that you would better not pick in that case.

Getting an already bonded pair in case you decide to go for two cats is good advice. Two cats that are well suited to each other are great fun, I'd say more than double the fun of one cat. Having two cats that are not well suited to each other can be very problematic and decidedly less fun.

I totally agree you are better off getting a cat tree that's "too big" than too small. A tree needs to be tall enough for a cat to scratch while standing upright and extended, but apart from scratching a decent cat tree is also very useful for perching and elevated sleeping. The highest spots ore often the most popular. The thing my cats like most on their cat trees are hammocks, BTW.

#6 ·
I agree that there is no such thing as a cat tree that is too big. THis is the one that I have, my cat loves it, he uses every level and spends most of his time on it

I would like a bigger one, especially since I am getting a second cat, but since I have limited space I am happy with my purchase.

#9 ·
That's a wonderful value on the cat tree!

This last time when I adopted, I made the decision to get a bonded pair. I wanted two but didn't want to have to do the intro process. Not to sway your decision; I love having two! They get along really well but they have their own little personalities. But definately, the food and vet bill cost is higher.

#10 ·
Two kittens are more adaptable to a new home and kids, than 2 adults unless they're already used to kids. Two are more fun than one with their antics and if you're working they do keep each other company. Most rescues/humane societies the kitties already have their vaccs, spayed or neutered and may be microchipped as well. Good luck, and we want to see pics of course.

#11 ·
Also, when you talk to a rescue or shelter, inquire about low cost programs they may have for vaccinations and the like so that future routine costs aren't quite as expensive as when you're going to a private veterinarian. If you end up adopting two kittens, it could possibly help balance out the financial input if you're planning on feeding them a more expensive diet. You could also set aside a kitty cat emergency fund so that if any more serious issues ever pop up in the future, their cost of diet, ie, doesn't have as much of an impact on your wallet at the moment they need such care. There are lots of ways to allocate, save and budget your money depending on what your reservations are concerning your cats diet and veterinary care. Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you - and the kitty! - and I wish you all the best of fun and luck! :)

#12 ·
I am leaning towards 2 because I think it would be fun watching them wrestle and interact with each other. Plus keeping each other company when we're not home. We visit my inlaws a few weekends each year so we would have someone come in to feed them but other than that they would be alone for 2-3 days. That's only maybe 4 times a year so it shouldn't be a huge deal. I told my husband and he said You're probably right, and 5 would be a party! Lol so I said Good idea, let's get 5..... I'm kidding of course....

#13 ·
Cats who are listed as "must be only cat" are very hard to place, but sometimes they're the most loving, wonderful cats. Cinderella was much happier being the only cat, and Cleo would thrive as the only cat. I've caught her red-pawed trying to put the twins on Petfinder when she thought I wasn't paying attention.

#17 ·
My son adopted a kitten, and then because he works a lot, he adopted the mom too so she could help take care of her. Mom, like many pregnant cats, was barely out of kittenhood herself so there is barely a year between the two. It worked out great because he didn't have to worry about leaving a kitten home alone to its own devices (which can be quite devious!). The shelter said mom was very mellow and is she ever -nothing ruffles her. So the shelter can help you pick an appropriate cat. He had a lot of fun with the kitten but also watching the interaction between mom and daughter. The kitten was wild but mom was sweet.

#18 ·
Seattlecoon... that sounds SO adorable oh my gosh! Magneto hated Chica when I first got the kittens, but they were so little that they grew on him quickly and soon he was taking care of them. He wasn't a mother of course but he'd groom them, and or be hanging around wherever they were playing (any joining in too). Too cute!

#19 ·
I agree with the advice on getting a bonded pair and talking to shelter / rescue folks about your situation. As for the tree....get the kitty or kitties first and see if they like to climb. We adopted 4.5 year old bonded pair from a rescue organization last year and I got them a big cat tree, but they never climb it, just scratch on the posts, so its a big thing taking up lots of our limited space that is mostly not used. I think with my kitties none of their previous people gave them a tree so they never learned to climb. They do like to sit under it though;-) I'm thinking about removing some of the levels and maybe I can get them onto the lowest rung or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.