Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I've had Sparrow for about 3 weeks now and since Sherlock and him don't fight anymore, I figure things are going well. In fact, today, sherlock was lying on a chair all relaxed, and just as an experiment, I put sparrow near her to see if they'd cuddle. Sherlock started licking him, which I thought was GREAT... but then Sparrow started biting her... I can't tell if he's fighting or just playing, but he clearly was making Sherlock uncomfortable. He also makes these swatting movements which I'm starting to get confused about... is he fighting or play-swatting?

anyways, I just want them to get along, and it looks like Sherlock's trying to start things good, but then Sparrow gets all bitey and Sherlock just wants to get the **** out of here. please help!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My kitties do that too. I think its a kitten thing. Dune will bite Token if he is placed near him AT ALL!! Token will lick him a few times and then Dune decides its time to bite, which leads to a little play tussle. I don't think that they are fighting, just playing because there is no growling.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno... I feel like maybe the kitten is playing too rough 'cause I heard sherlock let out a whine once when sparrow had his mouth around her neck, and then all she wants to do is get away from him.

*Sigh* I just want them to start snuggling and sleeping together. is that too much to ask? :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
How old are your kitties?Are they spayed and neutered? Three weeks isn't very long, they may still need to get to know each other better and may still be setting/learning boundaries. Our boys do the same things at times. One will be lovey, the other will be okay and then all of a sudden get upset. It's amazing how fast the mood can change!

We've found that sometimes the one making the most noise is the aggressor. Strange.

·
Registered
36 Posts
maybe sherlock was being a bit too touchey-feely for sparrows liking? hehe

see last year i had (i say had cos she died this spring, poor thing :( ) this cat,who was a stray, but we took her into our house cos she made friends with other cats of ours. And she got really accustomed to us and became a real pet, but i think she must have had childhood complexes of some kind, cos she just liked to brush up against other cats so much, and eventually after cuddling with them on the sofa for a while, she would start looking for a breast. Even though she was a grown up cat , and the other one was a male! Well she was lovely, just a bit too touchey-feely for the liking of other cats, who didnt dislike her in general, but they just felt it was a bit too intimate i guess.
So they usually bit her and put their paws on her forehead to make her stop and push her away.
It wasnt anything overly aggressive, just like a "stop it!" sign.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I get so mad at Thomas. Thomas desperately loves Kitty, wants to play with her all the time and cuddle with her and clean her. But Kitty interprets his playing as attacking and Thomas doesn't get the hint. Thomas will lay down next to Kitty and he'll start grooming her and she'll let him...and it's SOOO cute. But then he'll start biting her on the next head, anywhere he can reach or he'll roll over and start clawing her. Then he wonders the next time he goes to lay down next to her why she hisses and runs away.

You can tell if they are playing or fighting by the body language. Thomas is always playing. He doesn't growl or hiss. He doesn't usually hurt her. His ears are forward.

Kitty is always fighting. Her ears are laid back. She growls and hisses and spits at him. And she always runs away.

I have no idea what advice to give you. I just thought I'd mention that I have the same problem. I keep hoping that Thomas will get over his need to attack Kitty. Kitty went bald a while ago but her hair is growing back in now. Once it's completely grown in, I'm thinking that the addition of another cat will help. One that is sweet and loving and respectful of cats that don't want to play, but very playful otherwise. That might help things out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to you all for your replies.

I guess I'll just have to let them get accustomed to each other and hope they really do like each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts