Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the forum and switched my kittens to Wellness dried food about a month ago on the suggestion of several forum members. Thank you! I bought some of the Wellness kitten canned food but my kittens won't eat it. I have two - one fat and one just right. I am getting concerned about the fatter one. A neighbour came over and commented that he must be well-fed. Then my cousin came over and commented as well.

Right now, I have Wellness dried out all the time which I know now is a big 'no no'! I give them one to two (usually two) 3 oz. cans of SophistaCat Supreme Kitten. It has by-products in it but I have continued to give it to them as we made the dried food switch. They love it! My idea is to limit the dried food and to get them hungry when I put out the Wellness wet. Any other ideas? I am worried that the just right weight kitten won't get enough to eat because he is very picky.

Background information: They will turn one year old on September 29th. I weighed the just right weight kitten on my scale and he was 10 lbs. when I did it twice. The bigger one is a lot heavier than that but I couldn't get him to stay on the scale. If I follow the instructions on the Wellness can, that would mean five cans per day for just the smaller kitten!?!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
They really don't need to be on kitten food at all. This may help with the weight on your one kitty that's a little bit plump.

If you feed them a high quality wet food that is for all life stages and try to wean off the dry it's likely that you will have success with the losing a bit and the other kitty maintain a healthy weight.

It's also possible that the one may be a little smaller than the other for life. They both seem to be a very significant size, the other one doesn't sound like it's at any danger of not getting enough to eat if they are barely a year old and it's already at 10lbs.

Definitely do not free feed the dry if you are going to continue to feed it to them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
An average adult cat will typically eat less than an ounce (of canned food) per pound of body weight per day, though they might recommend offering a whole ounce per pound.

Kittens are pretty flexible; get your schedule established and they'll adapt just fine.

Sophisticat is a very inferior food, but you already know that!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts