Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Riot is getting fixed on the 28th and I am so nervous. Not sure why, I just am. I had some recent health issues with the dog and was going to put off Riots neuter until next month but decided to just go ahead with it now and live on a tight budget the next month.

Is there anything I should expect? Not expect? etc. I have never had a cat neutered before so this is all new to me. Should I ask for pain meds?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Most cats are back to normal--eating and playing--by the next day or two and don't usually require pain meds.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
The last time I had a cat neutered... which was like 15 years ago, I recall he didn't move around much and was kind of woozy for a little bit. After a few days he was mostly back to normal, I was just a little careful how I handled him. I haven't heard any complications with neutering, although I'm sure there are stories out there...

Quote from Wikipedia (I like running there for advice, haha):
As with any surgical procedure, immediate complications of neutering include the usual anesthetic and surgical complications, such as bleeding and infection. These risks are relatively low in routine spaying and neutering; however, they may be increased for some animals due to other pre-existing health factors. In one study the risk of anesthetic-related death (not limited to neutering procedures) was estimated at 0.05% for healthy dogs and 0.11% for healthy cats. The risk for sick dogs and cats were 1.33% and 1.40% respectively.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I just had my 6mo old kittens s/n and they did great. They gave the girls post-op pain meds but none for the boy. They said it wasn't an invasive procedure for the boys and having a bit of 'ouchy' would keep them from jumping around too much.

He may be sleepy and woozy for the first 24hrs after you pick him up, depending on how early/late in the day he was done.
Expect him to maybe sit down carefully for a day or three.
You'll need to watch for redness and/or irritation with swelling.
Do not let him lick-lick-lick the area. (my boy kitty ignored his area)
W/in about 3-5dys the small incisions should be well healed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I got my boy neutered 6 months ago they sent home pain meds with him. They were very easy to administer. A pre-measured syringe that would go on the gums that evening and again in the morning. They also did this for all of the male kitties at the shelter I worked with as well. They sent the boys home that night but would always keep the girls with them overnight. What a very exciting time coming up for your boy! He will be relieved of all the pressures of being a stud muffin :p

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got my one friends female fixed they never sent her home on pain meds. They also wanted to keep her over night but I said no. My theory is if they are in that severe of condition and no one will be at the vet clinic between 6pm and 9am then they can go to the 24 hour vet, if not then they come home with me and stay in a crate. I dont trust leaving my animals at any vet over night unless there will be someone sleeping there.

How do I keep him from licking it if hes going to?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor Riot, lets hope he doesnt lick. The vet doesnt give them out with cats because they said its ok if they lick their incision as they dont have much bacteria like dogs to in their mouths. I thought that was an interesting theory but I was concerned about him pulling stitches out..cone of shame, I will have to keep my eye out for one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From my experience with cats spaying seems to cause more discomfort than neutering. Athena was spayed last April and the poor thing barely walked around when she came home but she was back up and around within a few days. I've never had any serious issues health wise from spaying and or neutering. When Grady was neutered he came home and walked around all funny because he was woozy. It was bittersweet because I felt bad but he was funny stumbling around...how horrible! He was back to his old self in no time at all, I was impressed at his bounce back. He is however the only male cat I've ever owned so I've only been through one neutering. I've also never had an issue with licking and I think that my cats might kill me in my sleep -literally- if I put a cone on their head. Thankfully I haven't had to! The worse experience with the fixing process was Athena, her incision took longer than expected to heal up but no complications came from it, she just didn't heal as fast as my cats in the past. I've never been given pain meds or any kind of medication for my cats when they've been spayed or neutered.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I've never heard of vets using stitches for boy-kitty neuters. Perhaps yours won't, either?
If you *have* to use a cone, you can get fabric ones at petstores. I've made a few and had to use one on one of my foster-girls as she wouldn't leave her incision alone. The quilted one I made was very comfortable for her to wear, either up or down.

Here are some pics of Mischy:

I made a better one. More loops (6, compared to 4 on the tan one) for adjustable fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts