Cat Forum banner

One of my cats passed, other cat won’t stop meowing!

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  islandanchoress 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. As the title says, my cat will not stop meowing. Normally I would think maybe he was in pain or sick. But last Tuesday, my other cat Ella had to be put down. She went quickly and it was a shock. Poor girl had kidney failure and I had no choice but to do that. Since then, my other cat will meow and have me follow him around the house. He’ll meow and have me follow him to his dish, but won’t eat (he does eat though… just when he’s not meowing at me 😊). He’ll meow and have me follow him to the sink (Maine c00n and loves drinking from faucet), but won’t go drink. It’s like he’s trying to get my attention, or he’s taking me around the house to find my other cat. I’ve never experienced this before and not sure what’s going on. I give him lots of attention, so it’s not that I’m neglecting him. Is he sad? I would be worried if he wasn’t eating or drinking, but he does when he’s not meowing at me. I’m wondering if he’s depressed and asking where she is? Any advice would be extremely helpful. I feel so bad for him because they were great buddies. Before my other cat passed, Stanley would meow for basic reasons. It’s just now since Ella passed, it seems excessive. Thank you for any help.

#2 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. I was so worried about how Charlee would react when her sister Cali passed (cancer). She is probably my velcro cat for life now, which is fine with me. I would keep doing exactly what you're doing with Stanley. He probably can't understand where Ella is, and he may get better in time, but right now it's still a fresh loss, for both of you.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your response. Yes I am still mourning as well. Picked up her ashes yesterday and Stanley started sniffing the box. That got to me. But you’re right about a “Velcro” cat, he’s been next to me more now than usual. He was always a cuddly lap buddy. But he stops Meowing a lot once he’s near me. Very sorry to hear about your cat. It’s really tough. People who don’t have pets, don’t understand how important they can be to us. There’s humans who’ve passed, that I’ve mourned less for.

#3 ·
You are probably still mourning your loss yourself, and I am sorry for your loss. Your cat is still mourning as well. Both of you simply need time to get past the most acute stage of this loss. Your cat will very likely stop calling for her companion after a while. It may be days or weeks. Just be patient with the process and give her extra affection.

#8 ·
So sorry for your loss. Your cat is grieving and wondering where his pal is and looking all over the house for Ella and hoping you can find her. Whenever I've had a cat die, I always leave it out in the open for a while for the other cats to see the body, sniff it, and know that it has died. Then I bury it in the ground. Occasionally I have had several cats come back to me "in spirit" because I'm grieving, a favorite one did it three times! I do believe cats pass on to another world (the "rainbow bridge"?) and that we will see them again when its our own time to pass on.. You might consider getting another kitten as a companion for your boy and yourself. Generally speaking cats like a companion cat, some prefer a dog over a cat tho. I wish you all the best!

#9 ·
Yes, grieving. I had one pine literally to death when his two life long buddies died, It broke my heart. They were all related and always together, and I feared this would happen. But yours is talking to you so that is excellent. My lad ignored me totally. Would not eat. And yes, a huge grief for you too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.