Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very sick cat. We were gone on vacation and our neighbor made sure the cats were fed and their boxes kept clean. When we returned, Murphy had a horrid cough, it all sounded upper respiratory-like. In he went to the vet Friday morning. The vet said his lungs sounded clear and that all of his inflammation was located in his throat area and prescribed Zithromycin drops to be given once a day.

As of this morning, he isn't keeping anything down and has a raspy cough. My son, the EMT, described the sound as stridor. The two boys, Murphy and Grey, are on a raw diet and eat a combination of bite-size chicken tenders and ground turkey mixed with a powder that contains all of the necessary nutrients, bones, etc. He tries to eat and immediately his stomach begins to retch and within 10 minutes, it comes right up. It sounds like there's definitely an obstruction. My dilemma ~ I have to go to work in the morning. I've been off on vacation for two weeks. Once I get into the office, I'll call the vet and hopefully get in before the end of the day. :sad: Is there anything more I can do that will make him more comfortable? As of Friday, he didn't have a fever and his coat is still shiny and thick but I can see his stomach jump around while he's trying to sleep.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
If you really think he has an obstruction, that's an emergent situation that really shouldn't wait another 24 hrs. Can you get him to an e-vet this afternoon? Barring that, can you drop him off at your vet clinic on your way to work tomorrow morning and have them keep him all day?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is it possible that the antibiotic made his stomach upset? Don't know how this would translate to cats, but I get stridor when I have an allergic reaction. I like to breathe steam to help calm things down a bit. Not like directly breathing it, but a steamy bathroom after a shower works.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to vet first thing this morning. Turns out it likely was the antibiotic that was making him so very ill. He is to be off of the antibiotics for a period of 24 hours and then he will begin a course of Clavamox. He's taken Clavamox before with no stomach upset. He should show signs of improvement with his cough and sore throat soon AND be able to keep his food down. *Whew*! Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Went to vet first thing this morning. Turns out it likely was the antibiotic that was making him so very ill. He is to be off of the antibiotics for a period of 24 hours and then he will begin a course of Clavamox. He's taken Clavamox before with no stomach upset. He should show signs of improvement with his cough and sore throat soon AND be able to keep his food down. *Whew*! Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
Glad he is doing better.

Just so you know, I have a cat on Clavamox right now. It was bothering her tummy at first, but was reminded you really need to give it with food. Since then, there has been no problems with her throwing it back up.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Marie. He doesn't show any signs of stomach upset, like he did when he was on the Zithromycin. He is, however, going back into the vet tomorrow. He's not getting any better, in fact, I think he's getting worse. He sounds wheezy, like I do when my asthma kicks up, and he's sneezing. My first thought was a possible obstruction. I will address that with the vet tomorrow. I feel so bad for him. I just know he doesn't feel good. :sad

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went back to vet yesterday. I couldn't stand to listen to Murphy sneeze and wheeze any longer. His breathing was getting harsher and he was sounding more and more asthmatic. The vet listened to his lungs and took a chest x-ray, she says he likely has bronchitis along with a very red, irritated throat which is why his breathing is labored. She gave him a Depo-Medrol injection and sent him home to finish up the Clavamox. If this doesn't clear things up, he will go in to have his sinuses flushed and examined. At that point, we may need to address possible allergies. :-(

He's very squirmy in general so I was surprised he cooperated for the chest x-ray. She did mention that he wouldn't sit still long enough to take an x-ray of his throat area to see whether or not his tonsils were swollen.

I'm hoping he's on the road to recovery. I know he doesn't feel well when he curls up on my lap and sleeps all evening. :sad:

Here's hoping for the road to wellness!!! 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.