Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is in regards to my cat, obviously. Her name is Coconut, but we call her Miss Kitty, simply because it fits her better. 8)

I used to keep her bowl always full of dry kitty food (Kit'n'Kaboodle). But then she's started to gain some weight and getting a little porky, she'd be eating everytime she walked by her foodbowl. So then I started feeding her about 3 times a day. She gets some table scraps everynow and then, too. Such as little strips of meat. She also gets treats, Whisker Lickin's. I give those to her at about 4 at a time, once or twice a day.

Today she's been fed twice, her third time is right before bedtime. She ate her second meal about an hour or two ago. About fifteen minutes ago however, with no warning or implication, she became ill and vomitted quite a bit of her food back up until there was just spittle. She's never been sick before, so she did act scared towards it. She's acting fine now, if a little wary.

Should I be worried over this? Or is it, though not necessarily normal, something also not necessarily to be worked up about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and also lately she's been chewing on lego's. We also have some boxes taped up and she chews on the tape everynow and then too. I don't think she eats it, but she does chew on it. Not sure if that'll help or not.

Sometimes we get bugs in the house, like moths, flies, crickets.. She'll play with them and hold them in her mouth, but I don't think she eats them. At least she usually doesn't, usually plays with them until they're dead and then promptly ignore them.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hello there. Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry that you cat is sick. How old is she?

Also, one thing that may contribute to her gaining the weight AND getting sick, is the food she is eating. There is a lot of great information here on the forum about the higher end foods and what the health benefits are of giving them. In the long run they seem to be cheaper and SOME of them are really not anymore expensive.

Have you looked into trying a wet food diet? That may help with her weight issue. The other thing you may want to do is cut out the treats all together. They usually are not very healthy at all and they could contribute to her getting sick and even her previous weight gain.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find a lot of info. in this forum and hopefully someone can give you more insight into the vomiting and the lego eating. I have been fortunate enough to not have run into either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sick kitty

Hi there,

Well without knowing how old she is, here's my thoughts based on my two little trouble makers:

1. You've cut her food supply back, which sounds like the best thing for her if she's getting a little hefty. She may just be really hungry when you feed her now and eat faster than she ever did. She may be eating fast enough that she's overeating without realizing it and that can cause her to puke. Our lucy goes through that, usually after her brother has hogged all the food and she finally gets a chance to eat. She scarfs it down and about 10 minutes later, it comes back up.

2. If it happens again (like right away) you might want to check with your vet in case she's been swallowing something that's clogging up her digestive siystem. Maybe she got some tape or a string you didn't notice that blocking her up.

3. If you hear gagging before she throws up, it may just be a hairball (if she's young, this may be new for her). Our cats sound like they're dying before the throw up their food and/or a hairball.

good luck, hope she feels better! It could be worse, lucy likes to puke in the middle of the night on the floor, right where we walk int he morning. Nothing like nice clean socks in kitty puke :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts