Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat will be licking and cleaning himself, and then look up (either he gets distracted, sees me, etc) and his mouth will be WIDE open. He just looks around with his mouth open like he doesn't even know it's open. Is this common with cats? It makes me laugh because he looks ridiculous, but I was wondering why this happens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine doesn't do that so much as look up with her bright pink tongue sticking out. VERY noticeable against her dark fur.... so cute.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very cool. I learned about the Jacobson's organ in a comparative anatomy class. I think it was the only question I got right on the lab exam, because I refused to touch the dead cats.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
sometimes it's that (vomeronasal), like when they would smell my socks or something and then their mouth would freeze open in disgust lol. i didn't know about the organ.

then there's the other one that's just totally slack-jawed or when they forget to put their tongue back in their mouth. (my black one does that and it is cute--she doesn't usually hang her mouth open) i've wondered about that too, because one of my cats never does it, and another does it a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts