Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
As per my last thread (to which I have not received any responses yet :patback) we are transitioning our 4 year old male with FIC to raw. He is a little guy at 8lbs, Himi cross. On canned (Go!) he eats about 3/4 of a can a day.

So far so good. He mostly finishes the little pieces of meat we are leaving next to his slightly smaller than usual canned meals.

Can the raw community here please give me some feedback on our tentative feeding plan:

Total daily intake: 1.5oz/41g per meal at 2 meals per day

80% muscle meat/heart: 33g
10% RMB: 4g
5% Liver: 2g
5% Other organ: 2g
Occasional sardine
2 raw eggs or yolks per week

Supplements:
-Taurine

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would increase the RMBs to maybe 20% (I'm assuming the RMBs are about 50% bones and 50% meat) so you have at least 10% pure bone in the diet.

Otherwise it looks great.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Your post doesn't really contain enough information on which to form an opinion, Jackie_hubert.

The raw feeding formula is 80 / 10 / 5 / 5 (that's 80% meat, etc. / 10% bones / 5% liver / 5% other secreting organ); your plan seems to be very much in line with that so as far as it goes, I'd say it's fine.

Can you try for three feedings, though? Cats evolved to eat many small meals a day and they'll often get upset tummies if they go without for too long (of course "too long" is subjective and specific to every cat).

Regards.

AC

·
Registered
305 Posts
Uh oh :? I really need to take that advice. I feed my cats raw in morning around 7-9 am. Then I feed them at 9 pm. But only because my classes at 7 pm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I've decreased the muscle meat to 70% and increased RMB to 20%, considering that RMB includes about 50% muscle meat.

Is there anything else I should supplement with other than taurine? And how much of taurine should I give?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you feed them thigh meat and other muscle meats often, I don't think they need taurine at all. I don't give taurine to my 2 cats.

The more a muscle is used, the more taurine it contains. Thigh, leg, wing, heart, kidney, are all good sources, followed by breast.

I don't worry about percentages. I just got into a routine that I feed them whole Cornish hen every 3rd or 4th day, then pork, chicken, turkey thigh, Salmon, egg, etc. One of them won't eat liver but will eat hen back that contains kidney.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I feed frankenprey and don't add any supplements. Heart is on my cats' menu three times a week, so I'm comfortable not adding extra taurine.

...I don't worry about percentages. I just got into a routine that I feed them whole Cornish hen every 3rd or 4th day, then pork, chicken, turkey thigh, Salmon, egg, etc. One of them won't eat liver but will eat hen back that contains kidney.
If you originally formed your routine using percentages, then I'm sure it's fine, but I'm a little alarmed by your comment about the liver. Liver is a required ingredient and not something that you should feel comfortable not feeding.

Regards!

AC

·
Registered
188 Posts
I thawed some frozen cooked chicken liver and they both seemed glad to eat that last night. Cubby, as of yet, will not touch raw liver.

I never dealt much with percentages. I just feed them a raw and varied diet and they seem fine on it. I don't think cats will be affected much if their diet doesn't fit perfectly into a certain percentage range of bone, meat, organs, and fat.

Luke's food of choice is a meaty bone, and Cornish Hen leg most of all. He loves to get into the bathtub and chomp on a nice meaty bone. He'll strip a turkey leg or thigh of all meat. He'll eat gizzards and most liver.

Cubby won't eat gizzards and isn't crazy about heart. Still, I think he'll be fine on the varied foods he does eat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Oscar is now on 50% canned 50% ground meat and small chunks of meat. We hope to add in some bone next week and see what happens. If he ends up not eating bone, what should I supplement for it?

I will ensure he eats heart as part of his diet and cross off the taurine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I thawed some frozen cooked chicken liver and they both seemed glad to eat that last night. Cubby, as of yet, will not touch raw liver.
Liver is very important in a raw diet. You said you feed cooked chicken liver? It's not suppose to be cooked. Cooking the meat makes it lose vital nutrients. How long have you been trying to transition Cubby on a raw diet? Without liver in the raw diet, the diet will be unbalanced. Also, I hope you stick to percentages...they really do matter. A lot of vets are reluctant to promote raw diets because of that very reason. People don't go by percentages. I've been feeding raw for almost a year now but I still measure everything. I also hope you're feeding 5% of another organ besides liver.

Whatever you do, you HAVE to stick to the 80-10-5-5 rule. There's no exceptions.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If your kitty doesn't accept whole bone then you can try grinding or smashing them in tiny pieces. The only other way to get bone into a diet is bone meal. But that is not ideal and very hard to dose out because actual bones have much more nutrients than bone meal does. So you need to make other adjustments. I wouldn't attempt that.

Whatever you do, you HAVE to stick to the 80-10-5-5 rule. There's no exceptions.
The prey model diet is more of some rough guidelines. If you were average out most of a cats actual prey, in terms of percentages, you would see that the numbers, that make up a prey model diet, are close. Most feed 10% bone, some say 5% is a good number, heard of some saying there kitty only does good on 15%, I advocated maybe 20% if feeding chicken bones. If memory serves me right a Ca: Ph ratio for a cat is anywhere from 1.1:1-2:1. And I have no idea how much liver I feed. I just chop and feed, sometimes its 15% of the diet, sometimes 5%. But for newcomers, the guidelines in the prey model diet are a good reference.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If your kitty still doesn't eat liver after many attempts. You will need to look into supplementing Vitamin A and D.

(not sure if i like this no edit business)

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can substitute it with vitamin A and D but it's always best to use real raw liver. My cats love liver but I heard other people grind up the liver and make a puree. And microwave it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With Cubby liking and eating cooked chicken liver, it doesn't seem to me as though he's going to be in need of Vitamin A supplements. I've gotten Vit A toxicity from cooked chicken livers before, several times.

Yes, raw liver is best but cooked may be OK in a pinch. All of the rest of their diet is raw, and mostly organic. I'll put some raw kidney or gizzard in his sleeping room at night and he'll probably eat most/all of it.

I'm much against the use of microwaves on anything. I got rid of mine many years ago and will never own another. I warm most of their foods at room temp or in a baggie in a pan of warm water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update, I think Oscar is officially a raw diet snob. He's eating around the small amount of wet food we still add to his ground raw meat. Now that he's had a taste of real meat, I guess he's not going back! That was quick. I'll try adding no wet food tomorrow and see how if he'll still eat his entire meal.

Gave him the tip of a chicken wing yesterday. He tried to eat it twice but couldn't make a dent in it.

We'll go to chunks for meat next and see if we can build up some muscle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts