Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have been looking for a vintage-style halter dress (circa 1950's) and finally found this one. what do you think? i have a rose pink fabric that my dad found at an estate sale. it still has the hand-written cutting slip on it. it's very fine fabric and according to the slip, it was only $0.50 a yard!!! leading me to believe that it's quite old (50's-60's) i want to use this fabric for the dress, as there is enough and it seems appropriate to use vintage fabric on a vintage-style dress.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spots? the link is just to a McCalls pattern. the picture shown is just an example of how it will look. i buy a paper pattern, buy whatever fabric i want (the pink stuff i already have) and cut out the pattern and sew it myself. it won't look just like the one in the pic.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I like the bare back and the halter style front.
I prefer longer skirts to short ones....at least these days I do. hehehe :lol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i only have one skirt that is a couple inches above knee length and i have to be very careful in it. i'm kind of a tomboy and i like to sit cross legged, and astride chairs and benches, which is a no-no in a skirt, so sometimes i have to remember i'm wearing a skirt o_O otherwise, all my skirts are knee-length or a bit longer.

oh! i just realized it's got the open back! when i get my tattoos (tribal wings on my back) it'll be perfect to show them off!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, i've never ordered from them, but i probably will once i get paid.....must....get....shoes.....

they have really cute vintage-inspired clothes too.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
well, it IS a nice dress, but I can tell none of you were alive back then, because the dresses back then would NEVER have had that much cleavage. :wink: so it's not really an authentic "era" dress.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh, yes they did have dresses like that. i've seen pinup models wearing dresses that low cut and lower, and with less on in other areas too. just look at Betty Paige. the "rebels" were called such for a reason ;)

i'm not saying it was socially acceptable or "proper" at the time

who could forget:

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
NEVER argue with a woman! :x only I was there, and what I said goes for normal people. models and movie stars excepted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts