Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im watching Too Cute on animal planet right now and they showed a female orange tabby mom with her kittens 3 orange girls. 1 male tortie and 1 black tuxedo

now I thought orange tabbies were only male cats and torties were only females...

Ive only known male orange cats. My simba and the barn cat ringo also an orange tabby. my local animal shelter has a big orange male tabby in there cat room

the other shelters have female torties...

just wondering...

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
There are exceptions in both cases. I have a friend with two orange girls. I think orange girls are more common than male calicos.

Only one out of every 3,000 calico cats is male, according to a study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Genetically speaking orange female cats have about a 25% odds. I checked petfinder once and the math added up almost perfectly on that sample collection.

Calico males must be XXY (have an extra "girl" chromosome) in order to be calico. Very rare.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
There's an orange girl in my sig pic :lol:

BTW...male calicos are sterile because of the extra chromosome.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Tortie, torbie, calico... all the same. All cats that have both black and orange on their coats are female, unless they are males with XXY. Here is a helpful webpage: The Genetics of Calico Cats

What stumps me on it is the suggestion that black female cats make up 25% of females... but that is far from the case. There must be other genetic factors at play. But it does hold up in regards to orange and calico cats.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, back paws (legs) have substantial white, also under chin... typical. Some banding on her tail, but otherwise a pretty solid ticked orange. (You can see the white on my avatar.)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Orange tabby females aren't especially uncommon, they're just less common than orange tabby males because a female cat needs to have 2 orange X chromosomes to be entirely orange, while a male only needs 1 orange X chromosome.

The picture below is of Tilly Mint, the matriarch from one of the feral colonies I TNR'ed last year. All of her kittens have been adopted, and she's currently being fostered/socialized by the colony caretaker. She has had a number of litters over the years, but of the cats that were in the colony when I became involved, 3 were orange tabbies, and all of those were male. They obviously inherited the orange X from Mom, since Dad (Luther) was a brown tabby. All of Tilly's female kittens have been torties, calicos, or torbies, which only makes sense, since they would have received one orange X from mom and one black X from Luther.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 1 year old Cleo is pure deep orange. So beautiful.
And contrary to popular belief that pure orange females are baron, well I can confirm its not true as Cleo is about to deliver her first litter.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Male calicos are very rare, but orange males and females are common. My mom had a female orange cat that had a litter of 5 kittens. One was a male orange with white paws, so they are not uncommon, neither are orange females. Just the male calicos, if you ever get a male calico, you have money in your pocket because they are worth a lot of money because they are so rare. I have not seen a male calico yet, I hope that I do. Oh also torties don't have white, but calicos do, so they are not the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
Male calicos aren't worth any more money than females, it's a color, not a breed.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Male calicos aren't worth any more money than females, it's a color, not a breed.
Vry much this. A PUREBRED male calico might be worth something but to sell the average moggie male calico to 'put money in your pocket' would be irresponsible and encouraging back yard/hobby breeding. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When is even a purebred cat 'money in the pocket'? I would assume past kitten stage and fixed, they're not worth a whole lot of anything money wise. Unless it's like a 20 grand Savannah or something, I can't imagine a scenario where it'd be money in the pocket.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Super Moderator
26,399 Posts
I told someone that Cleo was part panther and I found $5 in my pocket.

I'm going to tell someone that Cali is a male and see what happens!!

Maybe I'll get her some neuticals and see what she fetches on eBay!

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
A male calico shouldn't be worth any more than a female calico... they're sterile, it's not something that can be passed along genetically (one XXY parent, even if it could breed, would not increase odds of having another XXY male, moreover an XXY male cat could also be just orange or just black)... anyone that sells a male calico for more than whatever an average cat sells for is trying to profit off of nothing worthwhile at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts