1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am the worlds worst on Organizing everything
Anyone have any idea's or hints to help out
For instance where do you keep this or that
What do you keep in the drawer under your oven ?
What do you keep under the kitchen sink
Where do you keep your Pots & Pans
Where do you keep your towels & wash cloths
Gosh I don't know HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP :wink:

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Daisy_Babe said:
Drawer under the over: nothing

Under the kitchen sink: all kinds of cleaning supplies and cat litter
Pots and Pans (I don't cook. I keep them at my fiance's place)

Dish towels and wash clothes ( an old TV stand)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Daisy_Babe said:
I'm a bit of a fanatic about organizing things in my kitchen especially. All my pots and pans are stored in the drawer under the oven, along with a couple of splatter screens and a pancake griddle.

Under the kitchen sink is where a small garbage can is (only about a 3-gallon size), the dishwashing soap, the soap for the dishwasher (different from the first soap), scouring pads, some hand lotion, one of those "grocery bag dispensers" that are used to stuff and store grocery bags brought home from the store and I use them to line small garbage cans with, some flower vases (for the rare occasion that I would actually set cut flowers out for display. This doesn't happen very often at all because George likes to eat the greenery and gets shreds of flowers and leaves all over the place.)

I keep all my kitchen towels and washclothes in a drawer at the left-hand side of my sink. They're underneath another drawer where I keep all the miscellaneous kitchen utensils (anything but butter knives, forks, teaspoons and tablespoons. I have another area in the kitchen where I store old towels and washclothes that are so worn out that they aren't worthy of being used for cleaning tables, countertops and dishes anymore. I use those clothes for dusting furniture, cleaning the floor, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Daisy_Babe said:
Pots and pans
Daisy_Babe said:
Cleaning supplies, dish soap, dishwasher tablets, extra trash bags, drill, toolbox.
Daisy_Babe said:
Oven drawer
Daisy_Babe said:
in with my linen, but I am going to clear out a drawer in the kitchen probably.

I'm not real good either, but mostly it's cuz the storage/closet space where I live SUX! :evil:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the replies...I am still working on it :( Maybe I will get done by next month or two !!! lol

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I buy a lot of old, old dressers. The more dressers I have the more organized I am. I can't stand organizing with anything plastic. I just love wood. Wood is my favorite material.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Mechele, your education would not be complete if someone didn't explain that a junk drawer is an absolute necessity. :wink: There are items that fit in NO category, such as batteries, a ruler, tape, a screwdriver, tape, whatever you can't categorize. I declare it perfectly legal for you to have a junk drawer. However, it must not be as messy as mine! I hate to tidy that drawer! :D

PS Now that you're getting 30 or 40 emails a day notifying you of posts, do you still think we're slow? Watch how you answer or I'll take away your junk drawer and put you in the forum Corner!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Jeanie said:
Mechele, your education would not be complete if someone didn't explain that a junk drawer is an absolute necessity. :wink: There are items that fit in NO category, such as batteries, a ruler, tape, a screwdriver, tape, whatever you can't categorize. I declare it perfectly legal for you to have a junk drawer. However, it must not be as messy as mine! I hate to tidy that drawer! :D
Oh yeah, Jeanie! How could I forget? - the ever popular junk drawer. They're so popular at my house, in fact, that I have 3 of them! 8O I can think of a few more items that fall into the "junk drawer category" around here - memo pads, pens, pens and more pens (I should actually go through them all just to see how many actually still work!), playing cards, a coupon booklet, the miscellaneous coupons I haven't gotten around to filing yet, rubber bands, thumb tacks - OMG Jeanie! I feel compelled to go clean out my junk drawers. Shame on you for bringing this up! :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Jolene, thank you for adding those important junk drawer items. Please keep in mind that the cards you have do no have to constitute an entire deck--just those you're keeping, since you KNOW you'll find the rest someday. Have you noticed that rubber bands (or gum bands, as we call them in W. PA) refuse to stay in their bag? I think everything smaller than a bread box should come in zip lock bags with a sliding fastener. How can we be expected to keep things tidy when they cliimb out of the bags and creep around the drawer under their own power? Impossible!

For the service you have rendered today, Jolene, you have my permission to procrastinate one more day. :wink:

Of course, I could buy some of those bags, but.......I use rubber bands to hold other bags closed. Now, if I could only find those rubber bands.....Maybe if I sneak up on them at night! :) No, the flashlight's in that drawer, and they'll hear me opening the drawer and scatter.... :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeanie said:

PS Now that you're getting 30 or 40 emails a day notifying you of posts, do you still think we're slow? Watch how you answer or I'll take away your junk drawer and put you in the forum Corner!

Oh god you all crack me up....Thank you for the education...lmao

·
Registered
349 Posts
My advice is to not get stuck in the mode of something should go here or there because that's the way everyone does it. Be creative with your storage.
Also, organization doesn't happen over night. Celebrate each step. Every time you find a place to put something and like it is a time to be happy. Little steps. Now that said here are some ideas: I'm a thrift shop sort of person. I live in a small house with 3 adults, one dog and 4 cats, so I'm always purging what I don't need and looking for helpful storage ideas. That's a big thing, don't store what you don't need. Here are some unique ideas.

Vingtage suitcases stacked on top of each other: Put whatever you like in there. I put my crocheting supplies in them

Picnic baskets with lids, not the plastic ones. I like natural materials. They're great for lots of stuff. Currently I keep all my old tax receipts in one and all my hair stuff in another. I have others with various things in them.

Pretty boxes, everything from hat boxes to picture boxes. Those can be used for anything. They stack so nicely.

Wooden dressers: paint them to fit your decor. I have a small one I keep in my living room painted to match. It looks very nice and it's so handy. I've had it for years so what is in it rotates. One of the drawers is for the cats toys.

I have a cedar chest I keep in the living room that doubles as a place to put linens and as a coffee table.

Storage is short in my kitchen. I hang cups under one set of cupboards and my pots and pans under another set. Looks great and is so handy! I also painted an old bookshelf to match my kitchen and use it for canned good storage. Works great!

I bought a wood workbench and stained it to match my kitchen. My microwave in on the top and then I store petfood on the bottom. It also gives me a littel extra "counter" space.

So there are a few ideas. I'm very frugal and these ideas have worked very nicely. Be creative and do what works best for you. :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Where I put everything changes EVERY place I move :lol: My house in Florida had NO linen closets, which I thought was odd. I had to keep all my towels and wash clothes in my bedroom closet.

The place I just moved into has alot of cupboards and a pntry in the kitchen, but few drawers. I had to move my "junk" drawer to the front hall closet. I bought a plastic 3 drawer storage container and use that for my junk drawers!

My pots and pans are in the drawer under my stove (thankfully I have an electric stove so I have extra space)

A water purifier takes up most of the space under my sink. I only have room for dish soap and a couple cleaning products. The rest I keep on a shelf in my laundry room.

I keep my towels and wash clothes in my linen closet. If I had more room I would probably keep them under my bathroom sink in the cupboard.

I agree that organization doesn't happen overnight. I am constantly moving stuff to what I think is a better or more convienant location.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Under the oven: cookie sheets, pizza pan, cake pans, muffin pan
Under the kitchen sink: cleaning supplies, a couple casserole dishes that I don't have room for in my cabinets
My pots are pans are on a shelf in the pantry
My kitchen towels and washclothes are in a drawer in the kitchen
My bath towls and washclothes are in a dresser drawer in the bedroom
I can't believe how many people keep pots and pans under the oven! I would have no where near enough room under my oven to store pots and pans!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am loving all of your ideas so far --please keep em' coming :D
Thanks everyone...you have helped me more than you ever realize !

·
Registered
520 Posts
Daisy_Babe said:
Oven drawer, nothing, it's broken.
Under sink, Household Cleaners and new sponges and such (those are in a plastic box in case of a leak)
Pot & Pans, In lower cabinet next to the stove. It's the most convenient place.
Towels & Wash cloths, In the linen closet. If you don't have one of these, get a small Rubbermaid (or similar) box and store them under the sink.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts