Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orion is almost a year old, and ever since we have gotten him he seems to think that Gizmo is his 'mommy'. Gizmo is a 4 year old neutered male. Orion will come up and lay against him and proceed to start sucking on Gizmo's fur, kneeding the floor next to him. He will suck on the fur on Gizmo's tummy, or the fur on his upper leg even. Often he will then sit up and looking like a complete dweeb sit there with his tongue out sucking the air! Gizmo is a very laid back relaxed fat cat, and he doesn't especially seem to care that Orion does this.

But it's incredibly annoying listening to these 'sucksucksuck' sounds, and it's embarassing to have a cat who is not a kitten doing this to another boy.

I can't get him to stop! Is there something wrong with Orion that causes him to do this? Please if there is any way I could get him to stop doing this I really would appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe they want to get a marriage license. Seriously though, that does seem a little strange especially since neither is a kitten anymore. I can't imagine my one year old male doing that to my 3 year old female. That would probably result in a fight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,

I won't care about that too much.
I had two male cats, and the younger one(Tabby) also thoughts the older one (Shetan) was his mummy. He was always sucking on Shetan's chest fur.
They were both happy with that even when they had grown up.
When Tabby died, we got a new little kitten but Shetan didn't allow him to suck on his fur.
I think it's a signal of very deep sympathy between both cats.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi
suckling such as you describe is a sign that the kitten was taken from his mummy to early
our youngest cat who is also a year old suckles on my bathrobe and fleecy tops and always has done
(I do hope he doesn't try to suckle on our other cat I don't think she would be very impressed!)

I don't really know how you stop him doing it, I tried to stop our kitten doing it but he just keeps trying to suckle so in the end I let him do it

you could try to get him to suckle on something else such as a t-shirt think make sure whatever you give him to suckle doesn't shed fibres which are likely to build up in his stomach)

you may find he does it less as he gets older
my kitten/cat only does it when he is falling asleep now at night

I think its quite sweet
though agree it can be embarrassing if you have guests

hope this helps you understand why your kitty is doing this

J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts