Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, let's start from the beginning. Last night a kitten (maybe 8 weeks old,) just walked into our yard, and I chased him into the edge of the woods, after a couple of minutes, he came close enough so I could reach him. I brought him up to the house, and gave him some food and water. He ate, and drank a little bit of water. He stayed in the pet taxi all night. I let him out to run around for a little bit. He did number one and two. He seems healthy, but he'll scratch behind his ear sometimes, (more often than my other cats.) I can't really tell what's dirt or a bug under his coat. He had some black thing around his eyes, so (thinking it was just dirt,) I cleaned most of it up, but there's what looks like a small tick just above his eye on the part that has no fur. I think there was another one on the other eye, but it came right off, leaving a small red spot. What kind of parasites should I look for? And how should I go about that?

He's a longhaired orange tabby and white kitten. You can only tell that he's a tabby by the stripes on the top of his head. He's also super friendly, so I think someone dumped him out, or he ran away.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He also has tried to escape into the woods a couple of times. It's possible that his mother and/or siblings are out there. How can I prevent this? I know he's not scared, at all, so I know he's not trying to willingly run away. Why is he trying to go into the woods?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, we think he has fleas. I noticed his gums were pale. He has no other symptoms of anemia. His nose color looks normal. What should his gums look like? They are about the same color of his skin. Is that normal? He's a pale colored cat, so are he's gums supposed to be pale as well?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Are you planning on adopting him?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If someone doesn't claim him. I'm going to try to keep him, and treat him for fleas. Thank you for replying!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
That would be great. I would assume he is homeless. Being 8 weeks and no mommy cat around. You might want to get him checked out by a vet to make sure he is healthy. Keep him safe from roaming the woods by himself. He is too young to be by himself. Thanks for being kind to the little one.

Reactions: Kitty827

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I think that would be great! I do believe he's homeless as well. He's anywhere between 8 and 10 weeks. I think that his owners may have dumped him out because of his fleas. Other than the fleas, I think he's perfectly healthy, but I should get him checked out by the vet, just to be sure. I think that he was staying in the woods before I found him, which is why he keeps trying to back. I named him Nick btw.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Nick is a good name. The woods is probably the only place he new existed until he found a kind human. 🥰

Reactions: Kitty827

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, thank you! Your human and cat family is very luck to have you! :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the cat on your profile pic an Abyssinian? He/she is very adorable!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Thank You. Yes, she is an Abyssinian. Her name is Sabrina.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
You can get rid of fleas by combing and bathing with Dawn soap. Buy a Flea Comb at a pet store. and thoroughly comb your cat...you can catch quite a lot of fleas this way......Dip the flea comb in hot water to kill the fleas. Then give your cat a bath. I like a kitchen sink as it's at a proper height, and if you have double sinks, use one to rinse out all the shampoo. Use quite warm water for the bathing and rinsing sinks, but not too hot. Cats have a higher body temp then people so they can stand a little hotter water; they don't like water too cool. A lot of cats don't like a hair dryer to dry the coat as some are very noisy, but try it on the cat if the dryer's low setting is fairly quiet and see how he reacts. If he's really freaked out, make sure you pick a sunny day to do this so the cat can sit in the sun to dry out the coat, or set him in front of a heater.. Give him some treats when you finish giving him a bath.

Here's a good link on how to bathe the cat and get rid of its fleas. Your cat is at the right age to get used to being bathed. All the best!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! I'll have to try the flea comb. We did bathe him, but I'll definitely use Dawn this time. We do have a double sink. We used a hair dryer last time, he didn't seem to mind, he just wanted to get dry. Thank you again! All the very best to you as well!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Thank You 😊

1 - 16 of 16 Posts