Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the dark ages of "dial-up" :D LOL!

My question is....is DSL hard to hook-up? I cannot afford the $200 installation fee. They will give me instructions and everything to connect it myself for no extra charge.

Anyone already done this? Can I do this ya' think?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dial up.... yuk.

I've had SBC DSL for 2 years. They offered the first year at $29.99 per month and then after a year was up they gave me another year at the same price. Then the price suddenly went up to the regular $49.99 and I called to cancel. They wanted to keep me as a customer so they gave me 2 free months and the next year at $26.99.

I found the instructions easy to follow. You will have to open up your computer to install the card.

Oops, I was moving in my seat and my knee bumped the desk (Barnaby was laying on the desk next to the computer). Did he ever go flying out of the room, and then he slowly came back with a big tail. Poor scaredy cat.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Yep, I have SBC DSL - if your computer already has the ethernet plug-in, it's super easy - just hooking up a few cords, and they will walk you through the process. It's not supposed to be difficult to install the card yourself, but (like me) you may not even need to do it.

You won't regret it!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bah DSL, get cable! LOL

I could never go back to dial-up, ever. What a nightmare dial-up is nowadays. Not practical at all.

FYI - You might need to check into some security apps when your on broadband. I guess Windows XP SP2's firewall is okay, but it's really limited. Also, a virus protection program is really a must, IMO.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I have ADSL. I use to have a usb modem. 5 mins later after installing it, and putting filters on my phone line it was up and running. Now I use a router with the modem built in and a firewall which took about 20 mins to set up.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So do you guys know how I would check to see if I have an 'ethernet' plug in? I do have Windows XP....is this a problem? :?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Look on the back of your computer. It should be labeled ethernet, but basically it looks like a telephone plug, only larger. If you have that plug-in, all you will need to do is connect your wires. If not, it really isn't a problem, as they do send an ethernet card along with instructions on how to install it with all the other installation stuff. I've heard (and Richo also said) it's not really difficult to install. If your computer is newer, it probably already has it. (So it's not that important, just makes it one step easier to install the DSL.)

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Is Cable better than DSL? I changed to DSL from cable since it was cheaper and it seems cable is slightly better. Does anyone else think so too :?:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Cable is almost always better unless your cable company is poor. I've heard some complaints about a few cable providers, but overall cable is much faster for less money. I get over 4 Mbit downloads and my QWest DSL friend only gets a little 1.2. To get my speed he'd have to pay almost a hundred dollars a month. Also, cable doesn't need phone filters.

Go here - http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_meter/7004-7254_7-0.html and test your speed. I got 5551 (5.5 Mbit)!!! 8O

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I was told that a DSL is your own dedicated line whereas with cable, you are sharing the signal with everyone in your neighborhood, so it may slow down during heavy internet traffic times. DSL is not as fast but more consistent.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW....the back of my computer is dusty! Tomorrow I will vacuum it!
It looks as if there could be an ethernet plug in back there, although it is not labeled at all....there is a symbol by it...but no words.
Is there anyway for me to check the settings any place in here?

·
Registered
359 Posts
DON'T VACUUM YOUR COMPUTER!! Always just use some compressed air. The vacuum can cause static electricity and arc into an outlet on the back. Very rare, but it could happen even though your box is grounded.

Anyhow, DSL in this city is horrible. Here's a FAQ I copied from another site:

This is a question that is asked everywhere you look. Which do I want ... DSL or Cable?

DSL service shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same DSLAM. Cable shares bandwidth amongst ALL users connected to the same CMTS.

DSL's advantage?
The dedicated circuit prevents other users from affecting your connection to any significant degree. (In most cases.)

Cable's advantage?
Generally cable can support higher bandwidth rates, and can usually provide service to a larger area than 18,000 wire-feet, DSL's limit.

Cable modems are typically faster for downloads than most if not all DSL lines, when the cable infrastructure is new or well maintained. One of the most common complaints seen in our cable forums is that of increased latency and other problems as more subscribers in a given area come on line. Additionally, cable has a few other disadvantages when compared to DSL.

The first disadvantage is that cable is an RF network -- this means that it is vulnerable to transient problems "within the network" from RF interference. Since cable is a shared media, there is a possibility that performance may degrade over time as additional households plug in, connect additional devices (videos, game machines etc.) to the TV lines.

A cable company may react slowly to decreases in performance if it reacts at all, as they never sell access by speed, or promise consistent speed or latency.

Another of the disadvantages of cable over DSL is the upstream (return path). Cable companies are using a very narrow band for return signalling, and this is positioned below all the space allocated for TV channels. This band is prone to RF interference and is very limited in capacity. Upstream transmissions may therefore compete with others in the area, get delayed (suffer high latency) due to noise fighting techniques, and cable TOS (Terms Of Service) typically prohibit any kind of constant upstream use. Internet use is shifting away from central servers broadcasting to many individuals and some interesting peer to peer applications are appearing (games, voice and video applications, communal libraries). These applications need a strong upstream channel.

In summary, cable modems are currently good value and strong competition for residential casual use, often available more cheaply and far faster than their ADSL competition. However, DSL is probably the more future-proof system, offering digital direct from the internet infrastructure. If your DSL ISP is on the ball, your performance in either direction will not be different from peak hour to early morning, and DSL lines are available for a wide variety of purposes, both business and residential.
I just know around here DSL is not very good and a lot of people don't like it. I believe even QWest now installs their cable connection instead of DSL in available areas. Cable is just faster for less money. I'm on all the time and it never slows down. I've also had it for 6 years and lived in about 5 different place around town since.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Misery....
Yes....my husband has an air compressor...I took the computers out to the garage and cleaned them that way.
My Dell went 'bizerk' on me and the Dell technician is coming on Monday morning.
I went to Best Buy and got a new hard drive for my old Gateway.
So this is all I have to use for now...actually connected faster than my new Dell????????????
I called SBC and it turns out that I do not livce close enough to a 'hub'
so DSL is not available for me. So I ordered a new phone line in the home
for my online....I guess I am stuck with dial-up :cry:

We cannot get a cable inside where the computer is located....without tearing apart our basement ceiling, which my husband would never allow.

·
Registered
903 Posts
We have gone from DSL to Cable and back to DSL.

In my area we have noticed no difference between the two. But we do live about 2 blocks away from the building where the DSL line comes from so we have a great quick quick line of service.

·
Registered
359 Posts
BoscosMum said:
Misery....
Yes....my husband has an air compressor...I took the computers out to the garage and cleaned them that way.
My Dell went 'bizerk' on me and the Dell technician is coming on Monday morning.
I went to Best Buy and got a new hard drive for my old Gateway.
So this is all I have to use for now...actually connected faster than my new Dell????????????
I called SBC and it turns out that I do not livce close enough to a 'hub'
so DSL is not available for me. So I ordered a new phone line in the home
for my online....I guess I am stuck with dial-up :cry:

We cannot get a cable inside where the computer is located....without tearing apart our basement ceiling, which my husband would never allow.
What made the computer go bezerk? After the cleaning? :?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Misery....I had a scan disc scheduled on start up last Friday morning.
I have no idea what the heck happened after that. I was at my log on screen, went to sign online, and POW the dreaded blue screen appears,
gives directions that if this is the first time I have ever encountered this error...to shut down and restart. Okay...so I do that...at restart Windows will not load due to a corrupt or missing file ? :cry: SO I call Dell..Thank God I got a 3 year warranty. She guides me through this and that...to determine the hard drive went caputz! Me lost everything I had!
I used the air compressor after all of this occured...I would be way too embarassed for the technician to see how dusty it was. Anyways...I do use a gentle air flow with the compressor. We have a pretty expensive compressor with all kinds of different air flow adjustments and different nozzles depending on how much pressure you need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts