Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang. My Tweetie likes to play. There's a stack of corrugated cardboard packing boxes in the room off my kitchen that he likes to jump up on and pull himself around the edges.

He knows this is his "play spot" and that I'll come over and play with him if he calls.

He has no front claws (done before I rescued him) so there's no danger there, but I sometimes forget that kitty teeth are sharp and kitty jaws can be strong.

Well he got me today... and good. He was purring up a storm and rolling around batting at me, and I scritched his tummy as I often do... and he reached out, pulled my arm to him and took a big ole' CHOWMP into my forearm. Not a nip, but a serious bite.

I jumped and yelped, and he was immediately apologetic, wanting to lick the arm and wounds, but boy did that hurt. It's not bad enough that I have to go to the emergency room, but the blood was flowing.

Right now he's lying curled up between my arms as I type, with his paws wrapped around my noninjured arm and drooling all over me and purring, so I know it's not a temperment issue/problem. It's all good.

Just a reminder that kitties is strong, and sometimes they don't know their own stength.

Owie.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Owwies. :( At least he was sorry. :( And now he knows to not play so hard.

Someone dumped a yearling in our neighborhood. I got him neutered, vaccinated, etc, but he's not very well socialized. He's a sweetie, but he plays wayyyy too rough. I'm trying to teach him to play more gently.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Aww, he must have been concentrating on playing so much that he forgot his strength. It's so cute when they lick you better and you feel how sorry they are for hurting you, that nothing matters anymore, just that you know how much you love each other! Sweet but sore!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I read that even though cats will often lie on their backs to show they are relaxed around you and trust you, some of them just hate having their bellies rubbed or scratched. Maybe that was his (not so subtle) way of communicating he's one of them. Try restricting rubs to the chin and upper chest and see if he welcomes that... sorry you had such a bad experience...

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Venus kitty trap I call this.

MowMow is good about a few strokes to the belly but more than that and you get snapped.

Book... I swear he tempts me on purpose. "See the soft belly? Look at the soft belly. You should totally tickle my soft belly!" Then when I do he attacks me, rabbit kicks and gnaws on my arm..... little monster.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that even though cats will often lie on their backs to show they are relaxed around you and trust you, some of them just hate having their bellies rubbed or scratched. Maybe that was his (not so subtle) way of communicating he's one of them. Try restricting rubs to the chin and upper chest and see if he welcomes that... sorry you had such a bad experience...
Not a bad experience... a learning one. ;)

I've had all sorts of cats over the course of my lifetime, so I'm quite familiar with the tummy trap. I think he was just being feisty, as he normally loves to have his tummy petted when he's in a snuggling mood.

The most egregious case of "lull them into a false sense of security with my awesome kittiness" was my cat Ariel (R.I.P 2003). She was the most territorial cat I've ever encountered. She absolutely loved me to death, but hated and would aggressively attack every other human on the planet. She would roll around on her back on the carpet just BEGGING for attention, but if anyone but me actually tried to pet her, they drew back a bloody stump.

She was insane really... she would try to chase and attack full-grown dogs (German shepherd, Labrador retriever, etc.) if they came too close to the property... I didn't let her out much. She also would attack the vacuum cleaner; it didn't faze her one bit.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Elvira (cat at the shelter I volunteer at) usually likes me to 'ruffle' her between the ears. One day she must have been feeling 'off', and immediately twisted her head around and chomped on my hand. No blood, but had red marks for a couple days.

Now when she 'begs' for lovin's, I'm careful to watch for ANY signs she may be a little off... twitching tail, ears back a bit, etc. and don't dare if I see those signs.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have posted before how Toby has zero aggression. But last night on one his jump attacks (you all probably the type) he jumped up and bit my butt - hard. Even when he plays hard it's not aggressive play, just intense play.

Even when he's mouthy he never bites down hard, and he never uses his claws on skin, just on his toys

·
Registered
611 Posts
Venus kitty trap I call this.

MowMow is good about a few strokes to the belly but more than that and you get snapped.

Book... I swear he tempts me on purpose. "See the soft belly? Look at the soft belly. You should totally tickle my soft belly!" Then when I do he attacks me, rabbit kicks and gnaws on my arm..... little monster.
I know some cats like it, but I think if we had to generalize, most cats really have something going on, that their belly is of limits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.