Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Zoso
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, we are in a very difficult situation. We have a very sweet, much loved 7 year old Tabby that is not just aggressive toward our new kitten of 4 months, but hunted and injured him. I just happened to be right next to them when she jumped him. So in the 3-4 seconds, physical damage was done (and obviously emotional as well). I have no doubt she would have killed him if I wasn't there. So the Tabby is indoor/outdoor and the kitten is just indoor for now. Despite her despicable actions three days ago, winter night time temps arrived so we are still letting the Tabby inside and keeping kitten locked in our bedroom. Keeping kitten safe from her is a real chore.
I'm reaching out in hopes that someone can shed light on what (if anything) we can do.
FYI- the initial introduction was VERY slow over a couple months. We did our research. We mostly did everything right. Most recently we have been feeding them both treats while they are near each other and it was going well...until the attack. Not the first time she got aggressive toward him but the first contact.
FYI- the Tabby lived with an old male Bengal for a few years and she tolerated him. They never brawled. He recently passed at the age of 17. A kitten was the only patch for us to recover. Now everything is a stress filled mess.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jeff and Katie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if I can help, but have been in a similar situation recently. I have 4 cats, male age 11, male age 9, female 7 and a new male kitten 4 months. My 11 year old took to the kitten immediately so no probs and he lives in all the time so I was relieved! The female 7yr old took an instant dislike to him, hissing and swiping with claws out, she is outdoor and indoor, luckily it took a couple of weeks and she is now OK with him, tolerates I think is the word lol but also plays sometimes. My male age 9 absolutely hated him from day 1! Hissing and going for him to the point I was locking the kitten away in my bedroom (the other one is mainly outdoor but comes in for food and when weather is bad) nothing much has changed and I was worried as the outdoor one is a huge hunter, catches huge rats and even squirrels! He was fine with my female when I got her as a kitten so after research I've come to the conclusion it must be male hormones as my kitten hadn't been neutered yet! We had a breakthrough last night as they were all indoors and I kept my bedroom open with them all to roam for the 1st night, and no fights! My kitten is due to be neutered next week so I'm hoping this calms the other one and kitten down. All I can say is they do tend to sort things out eventually, has your kitten been neutered? Are they both male? You could get the feliway diffuser as i know they really help too!

·
Registered
Zoso
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the response! We had to make an emergency vet appt this morning because kitten was in lots of pain from one of his wounds abscessing. So at the vet we learned about the diffuser. She said that males and females usually do best together. Also said that neutering him wouldn't make a difference until he is a little older. How old was your kitten when you had him snipped? Glad that did the trick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aw bless him! Definitely get the diffusers! I used them when I moved house which Definitely helped chill them! They are expensive but well worth it! Also, I found feeding them together Definitely helped the situation, feed away from each other, opposite ends of the room but they learn to be around each other in a positive way and are more interested in the food than each other so a good way of them being around each other. Mine hasn't been neutered yet! He's going next week. My other one just came in for food, ate and took a swipe at little one and went back out! So we are not there yet! My situation is definitely not as hostile as yours, but I still wouldn't leave them together in the house without me being here. Definitely its because my kitten is male and not been done yet as my other was fine with my female as a kitten. They will sort themselves out though eventually! I know how stressful it is! 😪

Attachments

·
Registered
Baloo is a 6yo boi
8 Posts
When I took a new kitten (2 month old, we rescued him from the street in January), my female 8yo was hiding behind the toilet for a week, refusing to eat. We had to relocate the kitten unfortunately. Hope you will have more luck. Didn't know about the diffuser, that's interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts