Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight when we both got home from work, my wife and I discovered this red patch with missing fur on our cat's back.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110550...authkey=Gv1sRgCKiPhZ-TgYGSnAE&feat=directlink

She's kept indoors, and doesn't get into anything around the house that would injure her, so we're concerned that this could be an infection/parasite of some kind.

Her behavior, diet, etc. have all been fine.

I have four main questions about this for anyone with expertise...

1) Any idea of the cause?

2) How urgent - should we take her to a 24 hour vet, wait til tomorrow, or not take her in at all for the time being?

3) What is within the reasonable bounds as far as us treating her at home? So far we just cleaned it a bit with some dilute hydrogen peroxide (the pictures are from right before we did that...it is slightly less red now), put a sterile gauze pad on it and wrapped her loosely in a bandage, just enough to keep her from clawing at it and chewing at it like she had been...which leads me to the last question...

4) What's the best way, barring a "lampshade," to keep her from bothering it too much?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Ouch, poor kitty!!! Can you call the 24 hour vet to get their advice? Otherwise, I would take her in now. I use the "better safe than sorry" method with my kitties.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
No idea what that is, but it looks nasty. If you can keep her from poking at it you can probably wait till tomorrow to get her to the vet. I don't know how big she is, but maybe you can bandage it then cut the toe off a sock if it will fit over her torso.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
1) Any idea of the cause?
It's possible that she suffered a small puncture wound by bumping into something sharp, and the wound irritated her enough to cause her to pull the hair off and irritate the surrounding skin. The same can happen if a cat is particularly sensitive to a flea bite.

2) How urgent - should we take her to a 24 hour vet, wait til tomorrow, or not take her in at all for the time being?
3) What is within the reasonable bounds as far as us treating her at home?
4) What's the best way, barring a "lampshade," to keep her from bothering it too much?
If she were my cat and the lesion was flat and odorless, I'd treat it at home with an antibiotic ointment (no hydrogen peroxide which can actually retard healing) and an e-collar or baby T-shirt to prevent licking. But if the wound doesn't heal quickly, looks inflamed or infected, develops an odor, or if the surface of the lesion is lumpy instead of smooth, I'd take her to the vet.

Laurie

·
Banned
948 Posts
If not tonight (ER vet), definitely tomorrow with your regular vet. That looks a lot less like an injury than a disease, and diseases generally get worse without attention.

Good luck! Your kitty's beautiful!

AC

·
Banned
38 Posts
One of my cats had a scrape like that from jumping while under a wooden chair.
Found the evidence on the crossbraces of the chair bottom. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. This is a great forum :)

We're going to put some ointment on it, wrap it in a little gauze to keep it clean and put a pet t-shirt on her. We'll check periodically and if there is worsening or no improvement we'll take her in tomorrow, or at the very latest Friday morning.

Because her behavior (well...until now...she always gets a little depressed if we put a collar or anything on her) has been completely normal hopefully we have a day or two to monitor this without worrying about anything too horrific. Although believe me, we are both worriers. Right now she's our only cat and we have no kids so we baby her.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Probably bumped into something or got a random itch and went a little too crazy X__X
'Lampshade' is the only true way to keep her from bothering it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I definitely agree with the pet t-shirt, much less distressing than a lampshade. It's likely she injured herself and then irritated the wound by biting/licking/scratching.

Try not to worry too much, not that I can talk- I majorly baby my cats, one of my girls is at the vets getting spayed today and I'm a nervous wreck!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That looks a lot like something Athena did to herself sometime last year. It turns out the rubber cover had come off a metal edge of my stationary bike and she'd scraped her neck on it (she's kind of clumsy and runs into things a lot).

I totally sympathize on being a worrier. If it were me, I'd take her in to have the vet look at it just to be safe, but I do sometimes worry excessively. With Athena's scrape, they shaved and cleaned the area and put some ointment on it to ward off infection. They did give her a cone, because she kept licking at it and kept reopening the wound.

If you end up not going to the vet, and it seems to be healing on its own, probably nothing to worry about, but if you start seeing any pus or other signs of infection, definitely take her in, obviously.

·
Banned
602 Posts
Looks like it could possibly be ringworm to me. In which case you would have to have an anti-fungal rx'ed by the vet. I had a dog who had it once and I have seen a cat with it before too.

I would be safe and check, it is contagouis even to humans from animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts