Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

My wife and I took our cat Shogun to the vet after he stopped eating. He would only lick his food, seemed lethargic and has had bouts of diarrhea. We originally tried changing his food but when that didn't work, we knew it was time to take him in.

After x-rays and blood work, the vet suggested an exploratory surgery since his intestines did not look good and his kidneys appeared to be enlarged. The surgery revealed that his intestinal lymph nodes were extremely swollen and that he had a kidney infection. The lymph nodes were sent away for a biopsy and are awaiting the results.

Long story short, the doctor said that it is very possible that our boy has either Intestinal Lymphoma or an extremely bad infection. We did take him in a month ago for diarrhea and he was given antibiotics for an infection, so we are hoping that maybe this is just a result of that. We were out of the country a week after that trip to the vet so we didn't really get a chance to ensure that he was a 100% better. To be honest, I'm not even sure how he would get an infection since he is strictly an indoor cat.

My question is, since we're bracing for the worst, have any of you put your cat through chemo? How did your cat take it? How much was the treatment? How long did they live?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I can't give any advice on chemo as I've never had a cat with cancer. But I sincerely hope it isn't that and is infection, as I'm sure that will be easier to treat. All the best, good luck!

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I really hope for the best. For what it's worth, Murphy had 2 rounds of antibiotics following a dental procedure, and they produced a solid (if you'll excuse the pun) 2 months of diarrhea. If he gets diarrhea after taking the antibiotics, that may be why.

Let us know what happens . . . I'm sorry to hear that Shogun is sick.

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
I had a cat with Inflammatory Bowel Disease that we believe developed into intestinal lymphoma...at that point, we didn't pursue further diagnostics as it wouldn't have changed the treatment.

There are a few drugs that can be used, but most prevalent seems to be prednisolone, which is really a steroid. Generally you don't want a cat on pred long term as it may compromise other areas, but in a situation where it's being used to help prolong and increase quality of life, cats tolerate it fairly well. It also has the benefit of increasing appetite.

I recommend high quality canned food, kibble is hard to digest (and generally not good for even a healthy cat). Probiotics and digestive enzymes will help make digesting food easier. Slippery Elm can help with nausea and/or diarrhea.

Good luck....hope you're just dealing with an infection...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just got the confirmation that it is rapidly increasing intestinal lymphoma :-(

Right now, we have two options. We can try chemo, but the vet said at his stage of cancer that the outcome is really uncertain. That and it will cost $1800+ for the treatment (even more if we go to oncologist, I presume). This would include weekly vet visits, tests, etc.

The other option is steroids (presidone). This will at least keep him comfortable until it is his time. Right now, we're thinking this is the best option but it is still up in the air.

Such a sad day :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts