Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight Peanut got to take her first walk on a lead and harnass. For all her dashing attempts out the door these past few days, she was very hesitant to go out when she could. :) But she quickly got curious, and she, hubby and I walked around our apt complex for 5-10 minutes. It was at night, dunno how she'd do in the day, if she'd like it better or be more skiddish...but anyway she seemed to like it and with the sunny days a-comin' we're all very excited!!

Should I put her on a flea-prevention med??

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Definately flea meds. I keep all my cats medicated. A flea can hitch a ride on me to my kitties! Or hitch a ride indoors on my dog(also with flea protection)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The lead seems to embarrass Sabastion. When I put it on him, he just falls over onto one side like his legs don't work.

Definitely flea meds. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yay, Peanut! Sounds like she really enjoyed her walks, she'll love being out in the sun.

Mozart, Kayla and Pixie also would flop over in the beginning. Kayla and Pixie aren't particularly happy about it still, but Mozart and Ginza just love theirs now, and when they hear the leashes, run to the door for their walk around the neighborhood. Mozart looks especially adorable as he's trotting happily from place to place, tail waaaay high, sniffing everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is so cute walking your cat. :D I've heard of this before but never got around to trying it.
If you can afford the flea one-spot treatment then go for it. I know that these can get expensive. So another option is to get a flea comb and check her periodically. If you start seeing eggs or fleas then treat Peanut right away. Make sure that the treatment you get kills both the flea eggs and adults. If you get the right stuff then these parasites should be dead in a day or two.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree, StormLvr. I've used a lead and harness on two previous cats. They were both indoor cats that I thought would enjoy a short trip outside. They panic too easily in the unfamiliar territory. Harness or not, they are out of control when they panic. Never again will I use a lead and harness on an animal that can suddenly become a writhing ball of claws and teeth.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Empath said:
I agree, StormLvr. I've used a lead and harness on two previous cats. They were both indoor cats that I thought would enjoy a short trip outside. They panic too easily in the unfamiliar territory. Harness or not, they are out of control when they panic. Never again will I use a lead and harness on an animal that can suddenly become a writhing ball of claws and teeth.
Yeah, those balls of claws and teeth are best left alone. LoL!

But it's neat how some people have great success with the leads and harnesses. Guess it just depends on the cat.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
StormLvr, that's a very good point, it does depend on the cat, and I would also add the relationship they have with the cat. Other factors like location are important too. I'm in a very quiet cul-de-sac.

I've been walking my cats for almost 2 years now (except Pixie), and it's been an enjoyable experience for them. My cats trust me, and if they see something odd (i.e. dogs), they immediately run to me or look at me for reassurance. I've also trained them to recognize where "home" is, so if something happens like earthquakes, they'll still be familiar enough with the outside to know where to come back. They also know "stop", "no street" and a few other commands.

But agreed, it's not for everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts