Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a question for the forum, but I'm afraid if I ask it here it will be lost, so, I'll hang on for the moment.

I'm 41, married, live in Eastern NY state.. currently not working, though I'm going to start looking for something in the Spring. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back last year after a sprain that left me unable to sit. Except for physical therapy and doctor appointments, I didn't leave the house for three months. It was a rough time. Thank goodness for my kitty. I would've gone crazy without her. My back is much better now btw.. just have to take it slow sometimes.

We have just one cat. Her name is Fifi and she's about three years old. We adopted her from a rescue when she was nine months old. She was found on the streets of Cleveland, Ohio and had lived for some time in a foster home before we brought her home. She was and is still at times very skittish. When we first brought her home, I was afraid she would never come out of her hiding place in the closet and that she would never, ever allow me to hold her. With a lot of patience and time, she now lets me hold her every once in a while for a few minutes and she's a major snuggler in our bed. When she isn't at the window watching birds at the birdfeeder, she's often sleeping on my desk next to my computer.

We absolutely adore Fifi and as I mentioned before she was a lifesaver to me this last year with my back problems. This was the second time she saved us. Two years ago, my husband and I had planned for weeks to adopt two cats or kittens (after the holidays) after losing our 14 year old calico the previous November to kidney disease. The very day we planned to go to the adoption clinic, we found out my husband had a tumor behind his sinus cavity and would need surgery. At first we thought we better wait to adopt any cats until we knew what the future held, but my husband insisted we go anyway but rather than taking on two cats, we just adopt one. The rescue was having a cat adoption special, charging reduced fees for cats and kittens that day. We looked at all they had available and held a couple. None immediately jumped out at me as being "the one" (it didn't help that there were an abundance of brown tabby females to choose from). My husband pointed to one we had overlooked (our Fifi), so we asked to see her and immediately she clung to me and purred. She was a sweetheart, though it was obvious she was terrified (and now I know purring when they're terrified also happens!). We knew she indeed was "the one" for us. What's kind of funny is for some reason (she was an older kitten perhaps?) she was not only half price, but they said we could have her for even half that price. We joke that she is our bargain basement kitty and we got what we paid for whenever she's ornery and gets in trouble. The truth though is she is everything to us. She makes us laugh when we need it the most and as she has gotten more comfortable and trusting of us, we've come to adore her all the more.

We were told she's a Maine Coon mix, but given her size (about 9 lbs), I think she is mostly a medium length haired brown tabby. She also has the most adorable little overbite. An early photo of her follows.

Do I earn the award for longest intro? :D If you bothered to read this far, thanks for your time. I look forward to getting to know people (and felines).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Welcome!

Fifi is adorable, looks like Maine Coon mixed with a little vampira. :grin:

I'm so sorry about the kitty you lost. It does seems that cats come into our lives just when we need them the most. Sounds like your bargain basement kitty did just that.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My Muffs has always been quite skittish, but I too can hold her for a few seconds now. Now and again, I see her come out of her shell for a little while and, when she does that, it's such a rewarding feeling. You must feel the same way. It's hard to tell Fifi's breed from her picture, but she is adorable!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts