Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have 2 bengals (half brother and sister). The male is not very vocal, except when his food bowl is empty (of course empty to his is broken pieces, which he will not eat! spoiled cat!) His sister, on the other hand is extremely vocal. It is getting out of hand and we need some suggestions on how to handle the situation. First of all, she'll start meowing early in the morning, especially when we want to sleep in on the weekends. She screams at the door to the bathroom because she likes to drink out of the faucet and sit in between the shower curtains while you're showering. For some reason the bathroom is her favorite room in the house. I know that bengals like water, but give us a break! The other time she screams (and I do mean screams) is when Nick is in the back bedroom, which we use to hold all of the tanks for breeding fish. Even if I am in the living room she will sit by the back room door and yell. Nick does not like her in the "fish room", as we call it, because she gets into trouble (harrassing the fish, getting into the water storage bins, etc.). We have to lock her in the master bedroom, and then I feel bad. The problem is getting very annoying. We would never, ever get rid of her, but we would appreciate any suggestions on how to stop this behavior.
Thanks - Kate

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is to funny..one of my girls sits in between the shower curtain when someone is in there as well..haha...anyways...to your problem:

Has she ever been in the "fish room"?
Once a cat has been in a specific area/and enjoyed it...it can become difficult to get them to understand they can't go in there anymore...but just say, in a stern voice, that they are not allowed in there and be consistent with it.

If she is allowed in certain areas at certain times and not allowed into those certain areas at certain times-it can become confusing and frustrating to them-and it's not fair to the animal. Put yourself in the animal's shoes and you'll see what I mean.

Could you leave the bathroom door open with the faucet on a slight drip? That's what I do.

Some cats are more "needy" in regards to attention than others. Take it as a sign that she appreciates your company and wants you around...

And always remember...Dogs have owners/Cats have staff!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! She has been in the fish room and she likes it because it is warm (all of the tanks, 8 of them, are heated to about 84 degrees, which makes for a very warm room). We have aquired more tanks than we had initially and she startles the fish and tries to jump on their tanks now. We do let her in now and then, so maybe we do need to be more consistent and not allow her in at all. As for the bathroom and leaving the faucet on for her, you have to walk through the closet to get to the bathroom. Bengals, as you may know, also like to be up as high as they can get. This means on top of the kitchen cabinets, or, in this case, on the wire shelf in the closet. She gets up their by climbing up my boyfriends expensive suits and business clothes and has snagged many a pair of pants and suit jackets. That is why we can't leave that door open for her. We did get her one of the circulating water bowls that works like a little water fall. I has helped a little. I was wondering, after posting last time, if maybe she just does not like getting out of "rountine" on the weekends. Nick gets up for work at the same time each weekday morning and she goes into the bathroom with him. It's on the weekend that she really gets annoying with the meowing. Could it be that?
-Kate

·
Registered
42 Posts
Absolutley could be that...mine were like that at first, but it goes away with time. If you don't want her in the fish room I would definetley not let her in anymore, this will help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our two siamese kittens do the exact same thing-they are obsessed with getting into the bathroom so they can drink out of the shower. So they sit and meow at the top of there lungs until you let them in. Very annoying when they do this early in the morning when you are trying to sleep.

Melissa

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If it's only on the weekends, its probably ruining your cats daily routine. My cat Sugar loves to wake up around the same time everyday even on a day I'm off but I'll tell you one thing, as they got older they "know" not to wake me up, but just keep sleeping until I'm ready to get up. Of course there are those days that I don't want to ruin their "schedule" too much so I go out and feed them their can and go back to bed. :lol:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That fish room sounds like a cat's PARADISE! No wonder she wants to go in there!

Anyway -- I think that the longer your cats live with you, sooner or later they will start to adapt to YOUR schedule. I think they will learn that "morning" is "when you guys get up." If you keep being firm about it, that is. I would try to extinct the behavior by just trying to ignore it. If you keep getting up when you hear her crying to try something with her, she'll learn that she's winning. What you have to do is stay in bed. Then sooner or later (maybe later) she'll realize that she doesn't get anywhere that way. It's all about patience.

If that alone doesn't work, I'd try to take what she finds so fascinating about the bathroom and the fish room, and try to bring those things into the rest of the house. It sounds like you got a good start with the fountain bowl. Maybe put an aquarium not used for breeding in a part of the house where she can be. Perhaps a warm heated kitty bed. Basically just know your cat, know what she likes, and try to make both of you happy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
when she starts meowing, is she hungry? Do you feed her as soon as you arise? My cats, and in particular, Solstice. (a white female, with tabby patches) will always stick her nose in my face when there is not enough food or water out for them, as I free feed all of them It doesn't seem to make any difference to her as to the time. Usually, she will know the instant I am awake, whether I move around or not. As soon as their needs are met, they all go back to sleep. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the little girl (Khali) doesn't really bug us about food. her brother will make sure you know if the food bowl is empty. We free feed as well. We have another fish tank out in the living room, but she doesn't really pay much attention to the fish in it. The idea about a heated cat bed might work. I think I'll try that. Thanks for all of the good advice guys. We've been letting both of the cats come into the "fish room" and they've been behaving pretty well. A few stern "no's" when they try to sneak behing the tank stands, but eventually they will lay down and start grooming. I was away for the weekend, so I'll have to get an update on how Khali did with her morning routine of waking up early on Sat and Sun. I'll keep you all posted on the progress. Coincidentally, she was still sound asleep when Nick got up to get ready for work this mornning! - Kate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts