Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that one of Obama's first priorities- ONE :!: of them-should be our space program. I know a TUNNA people disagree. I think the scientific advances and discoveries about the universe,can only help. I think we should go back to the moon-not to engage China in a space race,-but because this is a great adventure for our country,and MANY countries. OT,do they still make TANG?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I also support the space program. Nasa Television is often on my tv, too.
You know, a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, to watch a shuttle launch before the old birds are retired, would be fun.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, to watch a shuttle launch before the old birds are retired, would be fun.[/quote]
There's NEW birds,in the wings I hope?

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
I've been a space junky since I was a kid, building model rockets and looking for Sputnik and Echostar in the night sky, following the space program, and culminating with Neil Armstrong's step onto the lunar surface viewed live on television in 1969. It was a marvelous time and a huge scientific and national accomplishment. I would dearly love to see mankind pursue manned exploration into space. Back to the moon and on to Mars.

BUT......we have way too many problems and way too little money and resources to divert. Not only do I not think the space program should be number one on Obama's list, I think it shouldn't be on the list at all. People are suffering, the country is falling apart, a war drags on and on. No, the space program can wait. The moon and Mars will still be there. I'll never get to go into outerspace. But before we can resume pursuit of space exploration we need to solve our problems here, first. At this point, focussing on the space program could only be at the expense of everything else, and at no benefit to everybody else, except maybe to divert their attention from their real problems.

No, President Obama, don't throw money away in space right need. It's needed here on Earth.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I am up in the air over this one. While I support the space program, I do not feel this is the time for any new projects or funding. I agree with Tim in that we need the problems taken care of here at home. As such, I do not feel we need additional funding. However, I do not feel we should cancel or make deep cuts either.

Bluemilk mentioned returning to the moon. Well, sadly that is not possible now without designing a new heavy-lift booster capable of achieving escape velocity. Decommissioning the Saturn V, I feel, was a big mistake. The F1 engines in the first stage were already in the process of being upgraded by Rocketdyne to the F1A. With 5 F1A engines in the first stage, thrust would have been just shy of 10 million pounds!!! 8O What do we have now that comes close? Had NASA gone ahead with the Nova HL booster, liftoff thrust would have been 12million pounds with F1s or 16 million pounds with F1a's! WOW!!!

But once again, without a REAL heavy lift booster, returning to the moon is not going to happen. We just cannot afford to make a new rocket.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Jeanie said:
I also think, as much as I support the Space Program, that the timing is wrong. We'll have to be patient. :(
And I think such patience will pay off in the long run. If we can get our economy turned around in a reasonable time, then we can possibly divert funding there. At least Jeanie the New Horizons probe was launched well before the economy took a dive. Speaking of New Horizons, only 6½ years until it reaches Pluto! If only Clyde Tombaugh were still alive to witness it!

One thing I was always interested in was the Russian Venera expeditions. Everybody was fascinated with Mars, but Venus was always ignored. Thankfully the Russians had the interest so that their work could be shared with the world. I enjoyed seeing images of the Venusian surface. And I was amazed at its surface conditions despite the planet being so close to Earth in size and density.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Yep, Venus is a hellish place. Not much chance for terraforming there.
Not Mars, either, since it has no magnetic field to protect its atmosphere from being slowly stripped away by the solar wind.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
We have been able to see the International Space station with the naked eye from here this week. A colleague told me this and so I looked out for it. I love the idea of being able to see it, even though it just looks like a very bright star.

seashell

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm with you guys who think the program can wait... With the economy and global warming threatening every aspect of life as we know it, we've got to focus on fixing the messes we've already made before we put too much into space. I know some people think we could colonize space or the moon, but space technology moves so slowly! I think it's possible in the future, but not for a long long time.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have a friend who works in PR for NASA. I'll have to ask her about the Tang. :wink:

I feel almost disloyal saying it, but I don't feel that the level of funding and projects that NASA seeks should be given to them. There are so many other areas that need funding more, imo.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I think NASA should have been moth balled by Bill Clinton after the Cold War was over.

Most people don't realize the Federal government already wastes another 20 Billion per year
on Military applications of space, so wasting another 20 Billion on a civilian space program
is nuts, when private industry is more than happy to pay for it should it ever prove profitable.

If you must keep NASA going, at least stop putting humans into space.
Just send robots, probes, and satellites, where we get the most science
for the buck. Sustaining humans in space is a colossal waste of money,
that has zero scientific ramifications, and is only done for machismo and PR.

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
If Burt Rutan and Richard Branson had each been given one-tenth of NASA's budget at the beginning of Clinton's first term, we'd be on Mars by now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts