Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the country. I adopted a cat at the first of the year, planning to keep her outside to catch mice, etc. Before I took her back to the shelter to be neutered they closed because of Covid. Not knowing how long this was going to last, I let her go outside. She immediately got pregnant. She is fairly young so I didn't recognize the symptoms. I have given away all but one of the kittens, hoping he will be my mouser. My problem is, she had the kittens on the back porch. When we moved them to the barn, she immediately brought them to the back door. So we relented and let her in with her kittens. Now the kitten we kept is 8 weeks old. How can I get them to be outdoor cats?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
After having an old outdoor cat die because of attacks by two dogs, I vowed I'd never have another cat go outdoors. The only way my cats go outdoors is in a cat stroller and they really enjoy their "walkies" as it gives them a sense of patrolling a territory which is what outdoor cats do.. I was a breeder for many many years and my sales contract stated any kitten bought from me must remain an "indoor" cat. There are just too many dangers outside for cats from getting parasites, dog/coyote/birds of prey attacks, accidents with vehicles, poisoning/shooting/cruelty by cat haters, etc. My suggestion is that if you cannot keep your cat inside that you adopt her and her kitten to someone who will.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts