Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
I'm new to this forum, and am going to start off with a plea for help!

My new male ginger kitten (Tango) is growing up and getting more interested in outside. He has ventured out a few times with me, but when can he go solo? I worry about cars and dogs (he lives with a labrador, so knows no fear!)

please help

Shona

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Personally, I'd never let him go out alone. There's just way too many dangers for a cat outside. If he never goes outside, he'll never miss it. If you want to continue to take him outside, this is probably a good time to start leash training him.

Here's an article on how to leash-train your cat. Good luck!

http://www.peoriahs.org/catleash.html

·
Registered
282 Posts
Personally I don't think cats should ever go outside alone. You should be there to supervise or build him an enclosure where he can play but cannot leave. Far too many pets fall victim to cars, animals or even cruel people to make it worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm new to the forum too, but I had a little experience with my old cat.

He was still a kitten at the time, and he was an outside cat, and we had dogs too. SO he was really used to the dogs, he would in fact play with them.

One day he was outside playing in the front yard, and the neighbor was walking their dog, and my little boy cat still young, ran over and tried to play with the dog.

In the end the dog attacked him, and wouldn't let go. The neighbor got the dog to let go and we took our little cat to the vet. He ended up getting an infection from the bite, almost died and now he's traumatized. Any barking and he freaks. He wouldn't leave the bedroom for weeks.

In the end, the cats trauma, the vet bills, weren't worth my little kitty having a little freedom.

Now that I have my own place with my husband and daughter, I've kept my new kitty safe, and she does the same for us. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My thoughts pretty much mimic everyone else's, I guess. Our cats NEVER go out alone. When spring and summer arrive and they get "the itch" to be outside we just make sure we can take a little time out of our day to let them have some fresh air.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same here, ours never go out. It's so much safer inside and they live years longer. It's not cruel at all to keep them inside, it's keeping them safe. Indoor cats have just as rich of a life as outdoors, if not more so.

As was said, if outdoors is what you really want, leash and harness train your cat. :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Once a cat goes outside, they will always want to go out. I never ever let my cats out, sometimes I don't even want them on my 3rd floor balcony b/c when if I ever get a house, they won't be able to go outside at all, especially the backyard, cats can jump very easily... <<))

·
Banned
60 Posts
Kittens tend to be more curious and try to venture outside. After a while, they won't bother too much. Please keep your kitty indoors. It isn't safe at all outside for them. Trust me, with a warm couch, some toys, and your company, they're not missing much outside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My current cat hasnt ever been too nosey about the outdoors. Every now and then she wanted to go out and I wouldn't let her, and now she doesnt care.

Last night I was going in and out of the house carrying stuff in and I think she went out after me and I didn't see her. After I was done I shut the door went and started reading a book, when I heard this loud meowing. I searched everywhere and I couldnt find her. Then I opened the front door and there she was crying to get back inside. She didnt like it AT ALL. She was so scared.

Since then she hasnt tried to get outside. After being in a house for so long she doesnt want to go outside anymore.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's funny how cats are. Of my 7 cats, whenever we do anything that requires us going in and out a lot, we put them all up in a room but one. We have one, Pepper, that will NOT run out the door, she see's it's open and she will look, then dart for the bedroom. I wish they were all that way. LoL! I hate worrying about the cats every time the door is opened. Oh well... :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Where we live we have coyotes so the cats never go out loose. We compromised and built a cat door that goes out to a fully enclosed pen that has sun bathing shelves in it and overlooks our bird feeders. Unfortunately we can only open this door when it goes over 50 degrees but it works wonderfully in the spring, summer and fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts