Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might move into an apartment in the near future, how will a cat react if he've been an outdoor cat for his life(7-8yrs), and now have to be a indoor cat 24/7?
tia

·
Registered
4 Posts
outdoor cat moving indoors

He will probably cry and look out the window. Our indoor & porch cat, wails and moans if he is not able to go outside; it's quite pitiful. Maybe you can find an apartment with a screened balcony. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: outdoor cat moving indoors

ivan65 said:
He will probably cry and look out the window. Our indoor & porch cat, wails and moans if he is not able to go outside; it's quite pitiful. Maybe you can find an apartment with a screened balcony. Good luck!
it does have a balcony, so he can probably look outside, and "smell" the fresh air abit, but he already moan/wail even in the house if i dun let him go outside on a sunny day

·
Registered
560 Posts
Careful with the balcony... some cats get a little brave (stupid) and try to jump off of things if they think it means freedom.

I'm a bit worried about even leaving a window open for my cat when I end up moving... =(

When are you moving? If I move before you do I'll tell you how my cat reacts to being a 100% inside cat after being an outdoorsy cat for 11 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gabreilla Moushigo said:
Careful with the balcony... some cats get a little brave (stupid) and try to jump off of things if they think it means freedom.

I'm a bit worried about even leaving a window open for my cat when I end up moving... =(

When are you moving? If I move before you do I'll tell you how my cat reacts to being a 100% inside cat after being an outdoorsy cat for 11 years.
i might or might not, not exactly 100% sure yet, due to my work arrangements, but pls let me know if u do move before me
thx
i imagine it will suck for my cat, it's like being in prison for the rest of his life :(
he can't even stand being in the car, when i take him to the vet

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did :roll: Several years ago, I moved to a place where it was just completely unsafe for my cat, Prince to go out. He is about 10 and I had gotten him from the pound a few years before. He had always been allowed outside, and LOVED his outside time. Anyway, I thought I would be able to acclimate him to the indoors......wrong. (And you have to understand, I am a firm believer of keeping cats indoors...I was looking forward to not having to worry about him getting in trouble) He went nuts 8O Pacing, yowling, panting, crying, scratching obsessivly on doors for hours and hours. He wouldn't eat, became very depressed, and became aggressive to me. He was also systematically destroying my house...shredding doors, ripping up entire patches of carpet, shredding my clothes, furniture, walls, anything he could get his paws on. After about 2 months with no improvement, I made a hard decision, and sent him to live with my mom and 2 little sisters, who live in a safe, rural area. It was the best thing I ever did for him, besides adopting him. He runs their house now, going in and out as he pleases, and is spoiled rotten. He went back to being the nice guy I once knew. Anyway, I think my case was probably extreme, and I wish you much, much, MUCH better luck! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts