Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A cat is meowing outside right now, doing that howly meow. I thought I heard it last night, too, but I wasn’t sure. It’s too dark to see if it’s a Tom or if it’s Willow. It’s been a week since the Tom first came... Is it him? Would he still be coming around after a week?

·
Registered
464 Posts
If they didn't mate the first time, he will come back. Sometimes the female won't allow the tom to mate with her, so he'll keep coming back until she lets him. It could be a another tom.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I’m so sorry. Somehow it totally slipped my mind to tell you guys that my other outdoor cat, Eden, is not spayed, either. I’m so sorry that I forgot to say this. I Haven’t noticed her acting like she’s in heat, but this morning apparently she was with a black cat. I really need to call the shelter today and ask when we can get them in.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, you got your hands full. LOL. What do you mean get them in the shelter? The black cat? What was she doing with the black cat?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So we called a shelter in November or December to see about getting them spayed, and they said they would call us in January, but they still haven’t called. They said everything is pushed back because of Covid. They open Thursday so I’ll call them then.
She was sniffing the black cat. I don’t know if they’re going to mate or if she’s in heat, but she’s a female cat so she’ll come into heat eventually. I just hope that it’s later rather than sooner.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The animal shelter isn't your only option. You can call a vet and Petco in my area have vet clinics in their stores.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you for replying.
So all of the vet clinics inside of Petcos that are anywhere near us are only doing vaccinations, unfortunately, and all of the vets that are anywhere near us are more money than my parents are willing to spend right now. I think that that shelter/animal hospital is our only choice for now 😔 thank you very much for your advice, though. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thank you for replying.
So all of the vet clinics inside of Petcos that are anywhere near us are only doing vaccinations, unfortunately, and all of the vets that are anywhere near us are more money than my parents are willing to spend right now. I think that that shelter/animal hospital is our only choice for now 😔 thank you very much for your advice, though. I really appreciate it.
I'm sorry you can't get them in. I understand your parents not wanting to spend that much money at the vet. For the two that'd be like $300.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Catloverami, is full on Right, about all of the preparations!
Even if you can't get the large dog crate, give her a safe, dry, spot!
I have used rubbermaid tubs, hole cut in them, insulated, and stuffed with straw, for my feral cats...
She will need somewhere safe...
Best Wishes!😺🐾🐾

Reactions: Catgirl13

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@10cats2dogs thank you!!!
I assume you mean keeping them confined while they’re in heat?
That is a good idea. I really hope that I can get them fixed very soon. Called the shelter but it was an automated response and I’m confused as to how to go about it.
pretty stressed. I feel horrible because I can’t even get them fixed.
Anyways, thank you again so much for replying. I really appreciate it. I will try to pursue getting them in a dog crate or something if I can’t get them fixed before their next heat cycle. Thank you again!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't see why Eden spend more time away, or any at all. I don't think they would spend more time together than needed, which is what I assume they are doing. I could be wrong. Intact males will howl to attract females. Since he apparently already has one, I don't see why he'd howl, unless he's in pain or scared.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Well...it sounds like you may end up with two pregnant cats, at the same time...
And altho, females can come into heat, at 4-6 months old, it doesn't mean it's healthy for them!
They haven't even reached full growth!
Think about a 13 year old girl, being pregnant, her body hasn't reached adulthood, and being pregnant, is hard work, and takes a lot of the mama's body energy, that should be going into her own growth, health problems can definitely occur for the young mother!
WHAT are you going to do with kittens?
Leave them unfixed? To have even more kittens?
I know this probably sounds rough/harsh, I'm not trying to be mean...
I just want you to understand the REALITY of this situation!
Your parents, don't want to help get the cats fixed, that are already there...
What happens to those kittens...
And ,YES, it only takes ONE successful mating, for a female cat to get pregnant!
Also, multiple male cats can breed her!
She can actually have kittens, that come from all the different males!
Cats reproductive systems are 'VERY' interesting, to say the least!
This is why PUREBRED cat owners, are incredibly sure of who they want to breed, with Whom!
I'm sorry you're in this mess...
You may have some very hard choices to make, since you don't have the support of your parents...
🙏❤🐾🐾

Reactions: Raq

·
Registered
464 Posts
@10cats2dogs, @Raq is trying to get Eden and Willow spayed, but because of COVID-19 isn't able to do so presently. Eden and Willow will be spayed, and NOT left intact to have more kittens in the future. Yes, it would be unhealthy for Willow to have kittens at this age, but @Raq can't get her spayed YET. Eden has reached full maturity, by the way. I am sure the kittens will go to good homes, and not to an animal shelter, and they will be fixed. @Raq understands the reality of this situation. I understand you are trying to help @Raq understand, but @Raq already does.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts