Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live on the edge of some woods, and our cats are outside cats. What this means is that they have their cat flaps, and they go out and do their business, and we never need to worry about litter trays, which is a nice luxury.

But, my wife worries that having all the cat droppings up there in the woods is somehow not healthy, either in terms of groundwater contamination, or in terms of the risk of walking on it.

Does anyone know if this is truly something to worry about? In my view, animals have been doing their business in the woods forever. But it would be nice to hear an objective outside viewpoint.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. Any of the wildlife out there - squirrels, racoons, rabbits, foxes are all going to be pooping too.

But there is an advantage to having them use a litter box. You can easily see if they have loose bowels, which could mean either allergies or parasites. You will need to bring in specimens for the vet on occaision to check for parasites anyway. It's a lot easier to pick it out of the box than follow them around to catch them after the act.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Cats do a good job of hiding their poor. I don't think you are going to have to worry about stepping in it.

Unless there is a sandbox nearby!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cats bury their "stuff". That's why in the military, it is known as a "cat hole". I have about 40 of these guys, along with foxes, woodchucks, possums, ducks, etc. Not a problem. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts