Cat Forum banner

Do you take your cat outside or on walks on a leash?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

• Sometimes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Absolutely. I wouldn´t let them loose for anything in the world. My youngest female walks like a dog in the leash :D The older one isn´t to fond of going out at all. She likes to lay in the sun outside the door but that´s as far as she goes. She doesn´t run away so I can have her loose outside, but I keep her in a leash anyway. It feels safer that way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't let my kitten outside at all because I'm afraid once she gets used to going outside, she'll always try to bolt out the door every chance she gets.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I take Sampson out on a lead but don't do it often because now that he's gone outside, he tries to sneak out. I took the advice of someone who said when you bring them out don't let them walk out the door. Instead walk them down the front steps and this should keep him from wanting to run out. Well you know what? They were WRONG! LOL

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
HelloBeautiful said:
I don't let my kitten outside at all because I'm afraid once she gets used to going outside, she'll always try to bolt out the door every chance she gets.
I never do either, for the same reason. She was always trying to bolt out the door as a kitten, until once she did get out when it was cold and raining. Never tried again! :lol:
I have never wanted to let her out for any reason since, for fear she would like it and start trying to got out every time we open the door. It is so nice when she is content to stay in the house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also let him nose around out front but keep him on an "H" style harness with a leash. I feel a little better about catching him if he bolts. "Ol' 17 years" also goes to the park for some real woods exploring. It's also nice to run alongside him at speed in a big field. But when I try to walk him like a dog, he walks like he has a load in his pants :O !

W.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in a mountain town, and have lost a lot of cats to coyotes, so I gave up on the "just let them roam" theory and only have indoor kitties, who go outside on a lead :) I have it set up like you would for a dog, with alittle screw in thing in the center of the yard, with the leed attached to his harness, My dear Giz doesn't know that he can go further then I let him and never tries, the kitten on the other hand, I am still arguing with, he tends to dart out the door still, but then I've only had the baby for two months, and Giz is 4 years old :) You can train them not to dart out, it just takes time,

·
Registered
756 Posts
Before I started putting a leash and harness on Charlie, she was a killer. She'd bring home birds, rabbits, squirrels, and anything else you can think of. Now she's so much better. She's really good with putting it on too. Charlie stands by the door, meows to go out, either me or another member answers her call, and puts the harness and walks her around or clips the harness to a long rope in our yard.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Okay okay Cyprian....

You are in a mountain town? And you have a cat on a lead named "Giz"? Is it short for Gizmo???? Because I have a friend in Banff, Alberta (a mountain town) that has a cat named Gizmo who is about 4 that has the same setup. She has also lost many cats to coyotes. I know this is a longshot! But hey if you are Kelly or you know Kelly, this is Tanya!

Good day,
tanyuh

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you know I have lost more pets to humans than disease, and other animals, combined? That's really sad that people can't respect other people's pets. It's so cruel! Why do they have to shoot your cat? Why couldn't they have been paying attention when speeding down the road? Why couldn't they have given her the right treatment at the vet? Sorry, just rambling on.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
HelloB, I just don't know. But I have definitely noticed that people are a lot worse to all animals down here in the south than they are up north in Canada where I am from. We have had cats at the adoption agency in Memphis that have been shot with BB guns and we even had one that was dipped in oil - the kids were probably going to try and set it on fire. I was floored. I couldn't imagine someone doing that to a cat. In Europe and England, people let their cats out more often than we do in the US and sometimes they don't understand why we keep ours strictly in - this is why.

tanyuh

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, when my cat got hit by a car, I tried to tell people at school and they were like "so, it was just a cat, not like it was a family DOG or anything"

·
Registered
65 Posts
tanyuh said:
Okay okay Cyprian....

You are in a mountain town? And you have a cat on a lead named "Giz"? Is it short for Gizmo???? Because I have a friend in Banff, Alberta (a mountain town) that has a cat named Gizmo who is about 4 that has the same setup. She has also lost many cats to coyotes. I know this is a longshot! But hey if you are Kelly or you know Kelly, this is Tanya!

Good day,
tanyuh
Yep Giz is short for Gizmo, but I'm not kelly. I'm only a few hours away from Banff tho :) sorry...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yah they are thats why you need to purchase a harness. Some are better than others. I would invest the extra couple bucks to get the better harness. They have plastic buckles. You really don't want the one that goes into a figure eight and has the belt fastener kind of closure. The buckles seem to be more sturdier. You need to make sure the harness is snug on them and there's no slack. You should only have a finger or two of space between the harness and the body.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I remember the first time I put a harness on my cat. She laid on her side on the floor and acted like she was paralyzed...really funny actually

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's what my Gizmo did, he thought his back legs couldn't work as long as the harness was on, took a while before he realised that he could still move. When I hooked Orion up to his harness a little while ago for the first time he kept trying to run out of it lol was soooo funny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts