Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First post and hopefully some quick answers.

Two harness options I am keen on and one is over the head and the other is a H harness. I am tempted by the overhead but have you had any problems with these with your cat? Our Milo is a Persian cross moggy and is 6 years old and never worn a harness before but we are slowly introducing the idea of wearing things.

These are the two I am considering:

H - H harness

Vegan Cork Harness

I think the H harness will be less stress to put on but the vegan cork is more secure for them.

·
Banned
111 Posts
I hope you saw my reply to your introduction post? good luck.
do consider possibly using a cat stroller or a cat backpack instead.
Yes, some cats do successfullly walk in harnesses, but there is a risk of losing your cat. Be sure to have the cat wearing a collar with your phone number and have cat microchipped first.
and do read my reply to your "introduction" post. good luck!!

·
Banned
111 Posts
IJust tripped across this article on leash walking a cat. Again, like i describe in my reply to your post in Introductions where you said you are here to learn about leash walking a cat, my daughter did all of this steps. and her cat got overwhelmed and wanted to run (that way that cats do when they get startled? they RUN)
and her cat wriggled out of a "guaranteed no escape" cat vest and took off. Oh, her cat walked fine inside the house, sure did.
just fine.
she took hertime and got the cat accustomed to the vest and leash. but outside? if you cat gets startled? your cat, like many cats, will have that overwhelming urge to RUN RUN RUN! that way that cats do.
but, that said,
Here is the article, and i will bet this author has never witnessed a cat wriggle out of a vest as quick as a flash and take off. Or, perhaps the author walked a fat, slow moving elderly cat.
Or perhaps the author never did walk a cat.
but,
some cats DO walk on leashes. so maybe her cat did walk on the leash and just stood there calmly when it got overly excited to see a squirrel!!🐿
a dog!!
a loud noise !!
or........ a falling leaf land too close to it's foot. cuz there is no escape proof vest for a cat who wants to run.

good luck and get your cat microchipped. and a collar with your phone number.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Kiki! Yes the article looks a bit like a robot did it haha :) Appreciate you taking the time to give advice. I will come back with an update and no doubt some more questions as things start to open up here!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I've used so-called "secure" harnesses, but my cats are Houdini's and could wriggle out of them even tho they were on snuggly. So I got a pet stroller more than 10 yrs. ago, and its very safe with the cats zipped in with screening. They enjoy it and never try to get out of it, like to sleep in it occasionally, and sit in it and meow when they're keen to go on "walkies".

·
Banned
111 Posts
well, you are right, i agree, that article is not the best.... i found that article on this website.
i wasn't looking for that, but i was looking around this website in new areas here and there,
and i saw that article posted here on Cat Forum website, so i thought of you and linked it to you.
but
like i said, i think the author of that article has not ever actually ever walked a real live cat outdoors on a leash, and maybe the author is writing that article based on "theory that should work" instead of actual cat with vest experience? ...... but i could be wrong.
but please remember my grandcat did great on vest inside the house. JUst great.
The vest sure "seemed to be" secure. sure did...... right up to the moment the cat got overwhelmed and bolted, leaving the empty vest dangling on leash... took Smokie 3 seconds to wriggle out of the "escape proof" vest with great reviews.

Many cat randomly decide it is time to bolt and run full speed across a room, because of a noise, or sudden move, or possibly some cats seem to hallucinate and just burst into running for no apparent reason? well, you may hesitate to think all cats can calmly walk on leash while resisting the cat's natural inner urges to bolt full speed in other direction....
please keep us posted, i will be interested to hear how long your cat lasts outdoors on a leash. and some cats DO leash walk, those cats do exist. who knows, you might have one.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
127 Posts
When taking a cat out in a stroller or backpack, harnessing your cat is a good extra safety precaution. I wouldn't take our cat in a stroller or backpack without a harness. That means training your cat to trust the harness & leash.

We plan to travel with our cat in a motorhome which we feel is a better option than leaving her alone at home for days on end. To ensure her safety, we need more than just a travel pack for her. She's going to also need to be harness trained. It's not completely risk free, but that's life.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
127 Posts
i think the author of that article has not ever actually ever walked a real live cat outdoors on a leash, and maybe the author is writing that article based on "theory that should work" instead of actual cat with vest experience? ...... but i could be wrong
The author clearly stated, not all cats are suited to being walked on a leash & harness.

·
Banned
111 Posts
oh i so agree, not my point. My point was, she "sounded like" she had not done this herself. Like i said, i could be wrong, but the author sounded like she was writing this article based on a "theory". Hard to explain, but she just didn't sound like she herself had ever actually taken a cat outdoors on a leash. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never thought of the stroller before although I think the Mrs would be better using it than me haha! We have decided to try the vegan one and will update on how it goes. Come on sunshine show your face for us to venture out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts