Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm lost with how to help my cat - what can be done? :0

I got a beautiful cat about 3 years ago, she was confident, affectionate and kitten-like in her playfulness (5 yrs old). About 5 months ago my sister started feeding another cat and as we all know, she decided this was home.

We kept bonnie inside for the first couple of years, with a spacious catio and playtime, but due to seriously excessive overgrooming we decided maybe we should let her out.

So we did, and realised soon after that the main cause may be this other cat, who is much bigger and is here 24/7. She's dominated the garden... She's pretty sweet and nice to Bonnie (my cat), but Bonnie hates her and hisses when she comes close.

I have tried to find the owner and am waiting for cats protection to call me back to see if she needs rehoming, but until then I don't know how to help little Bonnie. She's not the same cat anymore, she doesn't play, hates attention and looks like she's so sick - took her to the vets and they tried anti anxiety meds to break the habit - didn't work... She never comes down from the dining room table now (must feel safe)

I feel like we've tried all, it must be this other cat. It's open ended but does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? I feel so bad, I love this cat so much :( below = before and now :(
Cloud Cat Comfort Felidae Carnivore
Cat Wood Felidae Dog breed Whiskers

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Over the years I've had some cats overgroom, rarely as a kitten or before a year old. Sometimes it is an incompatibility with addition of another cat or a change of residence/move, having a urinary problem, or abdominal pain, or fleas or parasites. I have noticed that once a cat gets into senior years, say 12+, that the older the cat gets the less it overgrooms. At present I have an adult Devon Rex that started overgrooming and his whole tummy is bald, the rest is normal. He's never had any health problems, fleas or parasites, and is laid back and doesn't get stressed.. It seems to be a self-soothing thing he likes to do, as he purrs when he's licking his tummy and likes to suck on one of his teats as well.. He's a very outgoing cat, loves to sit on my lap and sometimes lick his tummy, eats very well and he has a companion Devon that is 18 yrs., that he used to bully a bit, but they are cuddle buddies during the day and night. I've never found a cure for his overgrooming and vet has not either. All the Best!
Here's an article that may be helpful for you and your cat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts