Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is the sweestest thing in the world 95% of the time but the other 5% he is a serious wild cat and does not seem to even recognize me. He will lash out at me and even bite me during this stage. This weekend, he killed and completely mutilated a pigeon which he apparently pulled thru the window of our second story apartment. The window was only open a small crack so i dont even know how he got it in. But he did and there was a very bloody dead pigeon on our floor when we got home!

In any case, i am slightly concerned since he occasionally shows very overly agressive behavior when he sees other animals (like the pigeons outside) or any other dogs or cats (when taken to the vet). Anyone else have a cat like this? He is a HUGE black cat who is super playful and affectionate and he kind of behaves like a dog (playing fetch, pulling on toys, growling). He is odd and we love him but we worry about letting small children into our apartment. Anyone have a simliar situation or suggestion? I have tried giving him Bach's Rescue Remedy but i think he needs something stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
A lot of cats react aggressively at the vet's, this is because of fear. The best defense is a good offense, so they can get pretty nasty! And of course with birds and other prey, it's his *job* to hunt and kill.

If he hasn't been around children, if a child visits you, you may want to (1) keep the cat confined in one room until it leaves; (2) train him to accept a harness and leash and keep these on him while it's there; or (3) put him in his carrier and see how he reacts if the child approaches. Of course, if he associates the carrier only with bad vet visits, that one is not the best idea!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Is it worth leaving the carrier out open in the room?
THats what I do, have it out all the time, the cats go in and out of it, they when they see it it isnt just a bad thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I do the same thing Zalensia, and my Kirby actually likes playing inside it, and one of his favourite places to sit and watch us is above it. If I need some extra help to lure him in though, I usually put a few treats at the back, then when Kirby's inside I just shut the door. He hated the carrier at first (when we brought him home in it) but after a while he simply got used to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My mom actually does that too. Her 2 cats started fighting over the pet taxi she had out, so she went out and bought another one. Now they both have their own little homes. They love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but it is it abnormal to be so high strung?

thanks for the advice. He doesnt have a problem at all with a cat carrier but my main concern is his agressive behavior in the house. It may be just a personality thing but he seems to go thru hormonal changes or something and get super high strung at times. Just curious if anyone had ideas for natural or homeopathic remedies.

He has already seen the cat psychologist and she wants to put him on prozac! I think this is too extreme so i would rather stick with natural remedies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
What do you mean "hormonal"? If he's not neutered, that's the FIRST thing to do; intact males are naturally far more aggressive than neutered males.

Here are some articles that will help you understand how cats "operate" and give you some ideas on how to tone him down. Play therapy alone may resolve the problem; or he may also need flower essences or herbs.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... aggression
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... aggression

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top