Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A semi-feral (kind of our outdoor cat, we just fed but not much else for care) cat had kittens under our back porch. One day, I saw them as they followed her out to the side yard. One seemed like it was hopping like a little bunny, rather than ‘romping’ like the others. So I caught it, and realized it’s back legs were gone from below the knee!
The kitty seemed healthy, though obviously couldn’t quite keep up with everybody else. So I took her in, and bought some of that KMR formula stuff, since she was only about 3 weeks old. It didn’t seem like she got mangled from a mower or anything like that, just born without paws (and her tail was about as short as them, so I figure the umbilical cord got wrapped around her lower end and made growth quit there).

While I was deciding what to name her, my dad called her Stumpy (my sister’s manx was called Stubby, even though she named him Jethro). When Paizly was younger, she had a spot on her back that was like the marking of paisley pattern... now that she’s older, it’s kind of widened to more of a “blotch”. But that’s how she got her name!

Since I then had a job, and could afford more than just food, I made a vow to actually take care of this one. She saw the vet as soon as she was old enough. He calls her “The cat with the peg leg” LOL
I think she realizes she has no back paws, because when she used to jump off my bed, she’d try to land on all fours, and would yowl when the stubs hit the floor (my bedroom had hardwood!). Now she’s learned to only land on her front ones... ever seen a cat do a hand-stand? It’s funny.
She can get up on my bed by herself, by clutching onto the edge of the mattress with her claws and hauling herself up... but as with any typical cat, if she can whine enough to get pampered, I’ll eventually pick her up myself ;)

Year before last, she somehow broke her back left thigh. Rather than try to secure it again with pins, which may just fall out because of the way she walk/scoots, I decided to have it amputated all the way. So now she has half a back leg.

She’s rather shy and skittish (for instance, if the rats move too quick in their cage all of a sudden, she’ll startle), and I think it’s because she knows she’s gimpy and instinctfully is cautious about being trapped by something that could “take her on”.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Aww, what a cute kitty. That is so sad to hear about. However, you are giving her love which is something lots of people would not.

A Labrador Retriever that my aunt had was missing the foot on one of his back paws. So when he matured, he hobbled and could not run very well. However, he still was a loving companion. And I am sure your Paizly will be too.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I think this is a wonderful story. I am so happy that this kitty found a good home with you and you love her. I bet she pays you back every day. And phew, is she a looker! Paizley is a perfect name for her, and I think it's funny that you named her that, because Paisley is actually at the very top of my "favorite kitty names to use in the future" list. I absolutely love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts