Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if others had this problem. I feed Remy on a plate and he seems to eat his wet food always leaving a thin pancake of remains on the plate. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any solutions? I just end up throwing it away, but this food is expensive and it adds up!

·
Banned
154 Posts
Mimi does this as well. I attribute it to the fact that she doesn't have 3 of her canines so she has difficulty grabbing the food and always just licks it up. I don't mind throwing away a tiny bit of food. It's better than when she turns her nose up at something that I put down for her, that she loved the last 20 times I gave it to her and I end up throwing an entire can away and giving her something else, keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't reject the next can!

You're the only other person that I have heard has the "pancake" problem though!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remy is only 6 months old. He has figured out that he could lick his plate clean. Maybe he's full by then. LOL.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My Binks does the same thing. She licks at her food. i just scrape it up into a pile again every so often. I have also added water to make it more soupy. My other thing is that I feed in small amounts more often. That reduces the waste you get with the left overs drying out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I scrape it back into a pile and add a little water and whichever cat walks by it next usually eats it up. I haven't had that problem since Miley was lost and is back home. She licks every plate clean.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i was having that problem so i started giving them less at a time. they lick their bowls. if they seem really hungry, i give them more. being actually hungry as opposed to, "i could eat," really solves a lot of the finicky behavior too (doesn't wipe it out, one turns his nose up even when i know he's hungry).

my older cat is missing a few teeth but she manages to scarf all her food.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Give him a little less food at mealtimes, and cover the can and put it into the fridge.

You can let the leftovers warm to room temperature later and offer it to him later in the day.

You mentioned "plate" - do you feed Remy on a flattish dish or in a bowl? I got a bowl with gradually-sloped sides for my cat, and she finishes the whole meal if I feed her in that bowl. If I feed her in a "traditional" cat bowl that doesn't have sloped sides, she often leaves food remnants.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have this problem too but only with my eight month old Persian. I think it's because his face is flat and all he ends up doing is push his food around when he tries to eat. I've bought any dish I could find that would look like it help him eat his food easier but to no avail. So.........I feed him on a dinner plate that has raised edges. I take his food and try to pile it all up on the edge, then I leave a spoon at the opposite edge. While he's chewing I take the spoon and push it all back up onto the lip of the plate. This is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. He also gets way less all over his face when I do this. Yes it's work, but has anyone known a Persian that wasn't?
Luckily he scarfs his food down, so the whole process takes five minutes tops.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am feeding Remy on a small plate... I have an oval shallow pet food bowl... do you think this would erase the problem? I work all day so feeding tinier amounts more often isn't really an option for me. But I do mound it up as he is eating and that has helped. I also place several small mounds around on the dish. LOL... this is all a learning process - but at least he is eating his wet food!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts