Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I've asked already but as the time of us going on our holiday is approaching I'm worrying more and more about my guys. We're away for a week and we have a professional pet minder coming twice a day, she comes highly recommended (she actually does doggy day care and she walks the dogs outside where I work and I can tell she's fantastic with them), she'll feed, change litter, make sure they're okay etc. Most days I'll have someone like my mother or sister coming in just to sit with them and put on the tv to make them feel a bit normal.

I'm still worried about them, particularly Gordon. He's nearly 2 and he's still our baby (even though we have a younger cat too, she's quite independent). He runs to us when we get in from work and rolls over to have his belly rubbed and really seems to miss us. He's the kind of cat that will come looking for you if he wakes up from a nap and you've moved, he's a little sweetheart and I'm worried having us gone for a week will really upset him and possibly change him. Does anyone have any advice or reassurance or experience? The other 2 I think will be grand, they play and sleep, very rarely will actively look for attention and have always been like that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't spend more than one night away from home in 6 years. I think of my time with my cats as my vacation. If there's such thing as a crazy cat guy (instead of crazy cat lady) that's me. I wish I could get a week off just to spend home with them 24/7.

Plus if something happened when I would have normally been there, I'd never forgive myself. There's really nothing I need away from home, so I go to work, then back home.

I did take a trip to China for 3 months once, my parents took care of my cats. They love cats also, so I knew they were safe (never understand why so many people hate cats). When I got back, my cats smelled of me, none ran or anything. Once they had given me a good sniffing, they went back to eating, playing, etc. I wouldn't worry if you know 100% you can trust the person.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't worry, your cats will be ok :D

My family used to have a 3-weeks long vacation, and we also have a cat sitter coming in twice a day. By then they were only 7 & 6 month old. Our cats are extremely affectionate and people oriented. They welcome us when we come home. They follow us everywhere. Even when they are sleeping and I'm just away for 3 minutes to use the bathroom, they have to get in and sleep by my foot. Yet they do well when we were away.

If you want to comfort your cats, you can leave some of your clothing out, so that they can find comfort with your smell. Also don't forget to give your vet a notice and leave your credit card number with him/her, so that in case of emergency, your cat sitter can rush your cat to the vet without worrying about the payment. Other than that, just prepare yourselve to be showered in love when you come back! :D

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I've struggled with this a lot. After 6 years, I've finally reached the point where I can take a trip and not worry constantly about Murphy.

One thing that helps a lot is if your cat sitter would e-mail you daily to let you know what's going on, who said what, how the kitty played today, or whatever, just to remind you that they're getting a visitor and probably having a good time with them. I think most pet sitters would be willing to do that.

My other recent thought was this: Murphy is going to have the same experience at home whether I worry about him or not. So why not just not worry?!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've struggled with this a lot. After 6 years, I've finally reached the point where I can take a trip and not worry constantly about Murphy.

One thing that helps a lot is if your cat sitter would e-mail you daily to let you know what's going on, who said what, how the kitty played today, or whatever, just to remind you that they're getting a visitor and probably having a good time with them. I think most pet sitters would be willing to do that.

My other recent thought was this: Murphy is going to have the same experience at home whether I worry about him or not. So why not just not worry?!
Congrats on crossing that hurdle. I personally have not. I cannot leave my furkids behind and enjoy a vacation. Cap'n Jack is especially attached to me and I'm also the only one he trusts fully at home. I feel like he would be feeling abandoned if I went off.

As for the Op, as you can see, I'm sorry, I have no tips for you. I haven't gone on any vacations since I got the cats. Perhaps you can tell your minder to be extra attentive to Gordon and send you frequent updates as mentioned.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Congrats on crossing that hurdle. I personally have not. I cannot leave my furkids behind and enjoy a vacation. Cap'n Jack is especially attached to me and I'm also the only one he trusts fully at home. I feel like he would be feeling abandoned if I went off.

As for the Op, as you can see, I'm sorry, I have no tips for you. I haven't gone on any vacations since I got the cats. Perhaps you can tell your minder to be extra attentive to Gordon and send you frequent updates as mentioned.
All of this.

So far whenever my SO and I head out on a trip we make it to pet friendly places that allow pets.

To be perfectly honest and I know this isn't fair.... I would be willing to board Shepherd Book. He's sociable and enjoys activity and company and would be bored at home and it would be HECK taking him with us so...

MowMow however is a true mama's boy and when I tried to board him I had to come home early because he refused to eat and after 3 days they called me. He wound up with a UTI as well and she told us he hadn't peed either. Now (years later) we just always take him with us. He's been to the mountains @ ski lodges and to the coast in beach side condos and to the high dessert in hotel rooms.

We've been kicking around the idea of a two or three week RV trip this coming summer or fall. Again, I doubt that would be conducive to my spaz monster but I think Mow Mow would enjoy travelling with us like that and SO has been hunting up ideas of a screened 'porch' around the RV door so MowMOw can get out of the vehicle and into fresh air without escaping.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, she is Chinese, from Shenyang, China. We recently lost a cat and so she has been posting a lot online , mainly in Yahoo Answers. I thought maybe she had run across the site here.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I typically travel one week each year to visit my daughter in the U.K., plus I travel 3-4 days at a time, a few times each year, for business. The cats are fine when I'm gone, although I can't help but worry about them and wonder what they're doing.

I agree with this suggestion. I recently hired a new cat sitter, who sends me daily e-mails reporting on the girls' activities. It really helps to ease my mind when I'm away. Also, receiving those e-mails means I don't constantly worry about whether or not the sitter remembered to stop by.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a friend who loves cats, but doesn't have any of her own-so I love when she's able to be my "sitter". Since she doesn't have any of her own, getting to have her "own" cats for a week or whatever that I'm gone is a big treat for her, so she loves coming over and playing with them etc.

Knowing that they'll have someone who will be excited to see them every day eases my mind a lot. Cats love when we're around, but are also more than fine alone, with quiet time. Especially since there are two of them, so they'll still have their buddy around (which is a big reason I got a 2nd cat).

They'll be fine! They might even be excited to have someone new and exciting to play with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Search for any catteries in your local area that offer boarding services. I think that is the best option. Or you could ask a friend or family member to baby sit.

Personally, I enjoy traveling and whenever I do, I board my kitty at our local cattery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just went on a 2 week holiday and left the cat at home for the neighbour to feed. We didn't want to put her in a cat haven - one reason was that she never goes outside the apartment and is so incredibly clean. She just smells so nice, even her breath or saliva when she licks you. We didn't want her to hang out with some smelly/unhygenic animal and come back with some weird odour. Is that snobby or is it OK to hold on to what is beautiful in life?

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Is that snobby or is it OK to hold on to what is beautiful in life?
LMAO!! I'm like that with MowMow and Book. I don't like when company handles them a lot because then they smell like that person's cologne/perfume. I don't like people bringing their pets to my house because it makes my place smell funny.

Even when I first brought home SHepherd Book it took a while for me to get used to the strange smell of him. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts