Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a bit of advice here. My kitten has always the mad half hour kind of guy, never takes things lightly. When he decides it's playtime he means it, goes till he's exhausted. He's always panted after a play sesion (he's now 5 and a half months) and I never thought anything of it. Never having a cat before I thought this was normal .A few cat owning friends said they's never seen their cats pant. I've just finished reading a coupla atrticles in a cat magazine and one said their cat did that and he had heart problems and died at an early age. Anyone know anything about this? Or does anyone elses cat pant? He's going to the vets at the end of the month but I would take him sooner if it turned out to be an unusual thing for a cat to do.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Kittens are not good stewards of their own energy! They tend to get carried away. "Exercise intolerance" is what you're watching for, but if he can go for a half hour, I don't think you have anything to worry about! Panting after brief exertion *is* a problem. But while you're there, be sure the vet gives a really thorough listen to his heart.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
44 Posts
My kitten sometimes does that... she sits around with her tongue hanging out like a dog.. usually after running around like crazy or when its hot.. like the time she got stuck on the roof in the blazing heat

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Our cats to it too. They don't pant too much but they do little bit after playing. And then, they just relax for few minutes and are full of enery again! :) I think it's normal, isn't it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts