Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a worrywart, I admit it freely :)

I have two 4-month-old sisters who play vigorously. I've never had a pair before, but this seems pretty normal. Nobody's yelling or hissing or crying when they "beat the crap" out of each other (and a lot of it's manic licking, lol).

What has me slightly concerned is that one of them pants heavily, while the other doesn't. If they were both panting, I'd not wonder.

She does seem to recover fairly quickly, and is always willing to play more even when she is panting like mad, making me think this is nothing to worry about, but thought it worth asking about.

·
Registered
834 Posts
One of mine pants a lot as well and it is usually from over excitement/exertion when we are playing. He simply doesn't know when enough is enough! I'd get it checked; re heart ok etc, when you are next at the v.e.t. just to be sure though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My kitten does this too after playing really energetically. Especially now that it's so hot here in Southern California. She always recovers quickly and seems alright otherwise, so I haven't been too worried. But if anyone else has more information I would also be curious to know if I should be concerned.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Unlike in dogs, panting in cats is not normal and can be serious. It can happen (in healthy cats) due to being overly hot, panicked or tired. The cat must be immediately taken care of - given cool water to drink, calmed and reassured, "forced" to rest.

When it happens to Prince, I immediately bring him back home, turn on the A/C, give him water, pet him softly and speak to him softly, and after a while it goes away. But it's a scare each time. I equate it to hyperventilating in a human - it just needs to be taken care of at once.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
One of the important things to do with kittens is keep an eye that they don't get overly tired at play. When I say "force" them to rest, I mean do something that leaves them no option but wind down, something you know makes that specific cat stay in place and rest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts