Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Mammers gets excited about things he starts panting very loudly with his mouth open, like a dog. At first I thought this meant he was tired, but he does it even before he's been running around for very long. It's pretty loud, too, I can hear it across the room easily.

This seems strange to me. He's done this for a long time, and while he's a little chunky he hasn't always been that way (and he's not out of shape from what I can tell). He does it both here and when we visit home, so I don't think it has something to do with the temperature in my apartment being too high. Is this normal? It's really weird to see/hear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello, his excessive panting doesn't seem normal at all. I would get him an appointment with his vet soon. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dylan does this after an extremely energetic game of fetch but he soon stops it once he catches his breath... The fact that he is doing it before running around though would perhaps warrant a check from the vet, One for DrJean maybe :p

Hayley x x

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw a special on A&E once about cats. I remember them explaining that when cats REALLY wants to smell something they smell through their mouths. It showed a few cats doing this and they kind of were panting. My Annie has done this a few times, especially when I have her outside on her leash. She is not overweight, she's a lean 1 year old.

I found this article on another website...

Smell - Cats rely heavily on their sense of smell. A cat will always sniff its food before eating and scent marks are an essential part of feline communication.

Cats also have a unique mechanism at the top of their mouth, which enables them to make a special analysis of air molecules. A pair of organs, called Jacobson's organs or the vomeronasal organs, let the cat analyze air that is inhaled through the mouth rather than the nose.

When a cat uses this special mechanism she curls back her lips, opens her mouth and seems to grimace with a smile or an expression of disgust. This is called the flehmen reaction and is seen in connection with special scents that the cat wants to check thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This is not smelling; it sounds more like a true respiratory problem. The two most common causes in cats are asthma and heart disease. A check-up at the vet's is essential! Let us know what happens!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
628 Posts
When my cat is nervous(at the vet office), he will pant. Or when he is hot from running around outside, he will pant. It goes away in a few second, and he RARELY does it.

We have one cat that went to the vet that was SO stressed out, that they had to give her oxygen 8O

Abhay

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just to reply to this - some of you may know Dylan did this a couple of weeks back and also had a high temp and high heart rate... vet couldn't work out what was wrogn with him but he had a cool IV and his temp came down and he was fine... scary though...

If anyone does have an idea what it was would like to know... Dylan's Kitty dad has yet to be checked for HCM could this be it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we went to the vet.

He's got a leaky valve in his heart/a heart murmur, and while I don't understand this completely the vet did try to explain it to me and showed me pictures from a book he had, and it has something to do with the muscle being too thick or some such. The vet said that it's not uncommon in large cats, and Mammers got rather large rather quickly, having been very small and sickly until he was about 4-6 months old and growing VERY fast and being a rather large cat now that he's a year old.

The bad part is, this valve/murmur can cause blood clots to form if the heart rate is elevated, from what I understand. If that happens, he'll die.

So he needs to lose 3 lbs (he's 13.5 now), needs medication twice a day for 6 weeks (at which time he'll be re-assessed.....hopefully he'll get down to once a day which will likely be continued for the rest of his life), and I need to keep him calm. I found this out on Friday and thankfully the medication isn't wildly expensive (a little less than $1 a dose, so hopefully we'll get down to a buck a day which I can handle), but I have to wrestle him down to take it and it's sort of stressful.

As for the panting, well, the cat was in such a panic at the vet's office that we just had to put him back in his crate after a few minutes and to be honest I kind of forgot about it what with the other news. He'll be going back in six weeks for another checkup and I'll bring it up again at that time.

So that's what's going on. I'm doing okay, though I'm obviously upset about all of this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awe.... my heart goes out to you and Mammers. Good luck getting this under control. Are you able to hide the medication in some food or something, rather than wrestling with him and stressing him out?

katsprat

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately no, I can't hide the medication in his food.....it's a liquid, and I was told even if it was a pill that he shouldn't chew it. I've gotten a bit better with giving him the medicine (I've given it to him 4 times.....I was away on Saturday) and so it only takes a little bit of fighting now. The first time was awful, I forgot that there would be a lot of pressure if I just pushed the plunger-thing down, so it sprayed everywhere and Mammers looked at me like he wanted me to die :roll: .

Thanks for your well-wishes. It just doesn't seem fair.....he's still just a baby, really, and I just didn't think I'd have to deal with something like this so early in his life. We'll get used to it, though, it's not really an option (well, I guess it is and I could just not give him meds, but that's not an option in my mind).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of his condition.
At least he has someone who loves him as much as you do.
The two of you will pulll through this. Please keep us posted on his progress.

P.S.
The liquid meds are easier to administer if you do it from the side and squeeze it in between the space in their teeth! :wink:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm a week late with regards to Mammers health condition. How are you and Mammers doing now? I'll keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
a couple of years ago I found two kittens that the wild mother abandon at my shop. They were about 2 weeks old. I bottle fed them. They were never as active as other kittens but for the most part seemed healthy. When I took them in for their first shots the vet said they had heart murmers and without further testing couldn't tell how extensive.
I lost one ZuZu at about 6 months. Nuggles lived to about 18 months. The vet said is was sheer luck that either had lived more than a few weeks. Which was the reason the mother abandon them. She had had four kittens in a junk parts car but left these two. I felt blessed to have had them as long as I did. But both did a lot of panting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I had my doubts about the technique of the last vet I saw and one of my mom's clients (she and my aunt own a salon) is a vet tech and mentioned that the vet I saw isn't held in high regard by many people. So I went to another vet to get a second opinion.

While Mammers does have a heart murmur, he might not have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy like the last vet said he did. This condition can cause breathing difficulties due to fluid accumulation in the lungs (Mammers' lungs sounded fine), lack of appetite and vomiting (Mammers is a bit of a fatass and never vomits), it's more commonly found in middle-age cats (Mammers is one year old), etc. His heart rate is lower than is usual for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, though that may be due to the medication he's been on. I'm stopping the medication and he's going back to his new vet in a month. If, at that time, it's still unsure whether he has this or not, I will probably have to pay $320 (Canadian) to have him tested.

For now, though, the vet says it looks more like an anxiety issue than H.C. Mammers is a very, very anxious cat with some behaviour problems, and this anxiety could cause the panting and excited behaviours he displays even when he hasn't been physically active.

So that's that. I like this new vet, the last one just listened to his heart for about 10 seconds and said "he has H.C." which seemed odd to me. Mammers also dealt with his new vet much better than his old one, with the vet giving him a pet/head rub while he was listening to his heart and offering treats at first meeting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi,
Hope Mammers is ok. My daughter had a defective heart valve and it caused her oxygen levels to get low. I wonder if that could cause the panting, trying to get a bit more oxygen. Don't know if it works the same in cats, but it might!

By the way, she had heart surgery 2 years ago at 4 yrs old and is totally well.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts