Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have always heard that male cats will try to eat their young. When Chewy had her kittens 4 weeks ago, i was scared of this happening. I wake up one night, and Pete (one of 2 possible fathers) was laying in the box with them sleeping.
I immediatly panicked.... but as he woke up he started cleaning and bathing the kittens the way a mother would. He spends as much time with them as the mother cat does. Is this odd?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Samantha, do you realize that Chewy can get pregnant within days of having her kittens? You should keep her seperated from unfixed males until you can get her spayed when the kittens are weaned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Samantha said:
Ok, so I have always heard that male cats will try to eat their young."

I know this is an older post but I heard the same thing. But my barn cats 'Purina'(girl), her bro 'Pounce' and an unrelated male 'Whiskas' all live together. Pounce started 'guarding the kittens when they were a few days old. When they started cruising around, Whiskas started cleaning, playing and teaching the kittens(both males 'Nine Lives' aka 'nine' and 'Tender Vittles' aka 'Ten') Nine and Ten are about 3 months old and Purina, Pounce, and Whiskas are almost inseperable. I always refer to the adults as the Three Musketeers and their 'love triangle'!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mo, my big 20 lb male took care of two kittens I brought home from the shelter. I think he saved one kittens life and he is still crazy about the one kitten. He even let them nurse on him. He cleaned them just like a mama cat. So I guess it's not that unusual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts