Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home around 2 hours ago.. And Clyde was laying on the bottom of the stairs not moving... I could have sworn he was dead, but he wasn't. Under further(and quick) inspection, I found out he could not walk.. He started dragging his whole back-part behind. He has no response to his back legs, nor his tail.. And they are ice-cold.

Sadly, Im unable to afford the ER vet at the moment.. so I have to wait til morning to get a hold of my normal vet... I've been told that this can be caused my heart problems, and he has a heart murmer.. I was hoping you can tell me, at this late hour, any hopes there is to saving him?
The first time I gave him water, he threw it up.. So I gave him bottled water and hes doing fine.. He's laying comfortably on a towel and heating pad with the water just a short head lift away.

Whenever he tries to walk, he yowls in pain.. I'll get into my vet around 10pm tomorrow morning, I plan on being up all night.. Please tell me what you think..

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
oh I am so sorry to hear this! So this is why you have to stay awake...I hope Clyde is not in a lot of pain. I wish we had an info line where you could at least ask for details on what to expect
I will keep Clyde and you in my thoughts
~more hugs~

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It must just be agonizing for Clyde and you right now((HUG)). I don't have any info to offer, sadly. Yeah, this is one of those instances a help line would be good.

I bet they'll take you in first thing when they open if you call and tell them the situation.

EDIT: just did a yahoo search for "cat rear paralysis" so see if I could find anything helpful. Here's a couple that I found useful, you may already have these pages. I'm sorry, it didn't sound encouraging, and qualifies as an emergency, unfortunately. I'll be hoping for the best.

Pet Hospital info on Hypertrophic Cardio
Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (PDF file)
Vet Info

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Aonir.

It's about 9:00 and you're probably on your way to the vet now. I just wanted to let you know you and Clyde are in my thoughts and I wish you two the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got home around 10 mins ago. The vet got me in round 9:40. He is indeed paralyzed. Around 4am this morning, he lost feeling in the area, so he's no longer in pain.

It was his heart murmur. It is now a serious heart disease that released a blood clot that got stuck in the.. uh.. spine area... Which blocked off circulation to his lower half.

The first suggestion was to PTS... But(naturally) I'm not to happy with that idea.. I've put him on IVs and medicine to see if we can clear the blood clot. He said if he doesn't improve in 48 hours, it's pretty much hopeless. But I am going to try. If he doesn't improve, I will naturally let him go to the bridge to be able to move again.

This is the second animal I will have to have PTS... The first was an elderly dog, blind and deaf.. She was great until she started running into everything, hurting and cutting herself. I was around 11 when she was PTS(with me there, but i couldnt watch..). We almost thought my Teddy was going to be PTS, but I fought for him and now hes happy and healthy.. I guess I'm hoping the same for Clyde..

Please keep him in your prayers for the next 2 days.. I will update when I get more info on him. I plan on visiting him tonight before closing, and again tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thank you so much for the update as painful as it was to write, I was so worried for Clyde and you all night.

I am so sorry for what you're going through. Wishing you all the strength you need to deal with whatever decisions need to be made, and will be keeping you both in my thoughts.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am sorry as well. :(

It's good that there people like you out there for animals who need people to put up a fight for them.

I can imagine paralysis would be very frustrating for a cat, so it's probably for the better. At least it's painless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.