Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kitt has been a inside cat since we got her declawed last year, (Please! No lectures! We now know that it was a mistake but at the time with all the furniture she was destroying, and when she scratched me and gave me a bad case of Cat Scratch Fever, yes, there is such a thing, that was the last straw!) We certainly didn't want to give her away, and we were.nt about to put her down! Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, she stopped eating her usual amount of food, so I took her to the vet, she had a flittle bit of a fever, a low white cell count, and was a little anemic. Doctor gave me some antibiotics and some vitamins and sent her home. Later that afternoon he called me and said that he did another test on her blood and discovered that she might have a parasite! Is it usual for an inside cat to get a parasite? How could she have gotten it? BTW, she's feeling a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
As for the cat scratch fever, that is carried by the bacterium Baronella. Many cats (I think I heard up to 60%) carry this bacteria but they are just carriers, meaning they suffer no ill effects from it (usually!) By the way, you can treat the cat for this to get rid of it just in case you run into this problem with another cat. :)
As for parasites, I know my Justin just got rid of a tapeworm. Those are spread by fleas and so I'm guessing a flea got on him somewhere along the line even though he is indoors. I don't know about the other parasites, how they are spread. It's possible he could have picked it up while at the vets office, if you have ever taken him to someone else's house...who knows?!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
parasite

Would have to know *what* parasite. The most common blood parasite is Hemobartonella (not related to Bartonella of cat scratch fever fame) and it does cause anemia. However, both are transmitted by fleas. Time to call the exterminator!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drjean. Hemobartenella(spelling) is what the vet called the parasite. Guess I will have to call the exterminator, asking Kitts permission first, of course. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts