Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a ~16 week old Himalayan kitten. She was tiny when we got her at 8 weeks - she weighed less than a pound. She was up to two pounds at 13 weeks, so she seems to be progressing well.

At that time, we noticed a patch of fur that was shorter than the rest of her body, around one of her shoulders. Since then, all of her fur from her shoulders to the base of her tail is very short. There are no lesions, red patches, sores, etc.

She's been eating Royal Canin kitten food since she was weaned, if that matters. She has a vaccine scheduled for Wednesday and I'll ask the vet about it then, but thought I would get the insight of others as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It could be that she's stressed being in new surroundings and she's shedding/losing fur a little faster than usual, or grooming a little too much, such that she's losing her old coat before her new coat has fully grown through in spots. If there are no bare patches or other symptoms such as scratching, etc., then it's likely nothing to worry about, although it's still a good idea to ask the vet when you're there.

A good diet will also help to improve coat health. Royal Canin is not the greatest food (although not the worst either). You might consider switching her to a grain-free wet food, such as EVO, Weruva, Nature’s Variety Instinct, Wellness, Merrick, Fromm, Felidae, by Nature, etc. If you want to supplement with dry, you could consider a grain-free dry, such as EVO, Blue Wilderness, Wellness CORE, Before Grain, Go/Now, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
If the areas aren't slightly crusty it may not be ringworm. They usually start in the warm moist place. A black light will identify 7 or 8 types of ringworm but the rest are only know by doing a skin scrapping and sending it to a lab. Ring worm is uncomfortable for kittens and cats. If your kitten was rescued from outside it could be more possible this is what is going on. Breeder tend to have other serious disease that go thru catterys just like shelters do.

Food allergy? You probably have her on Royal Canin Baby cat but try a grain free and do the process of elimination of ingredients if you think that could be it.

MHO I would never vaccinate a cat when there are possible health issue going on. This kitten needs it immune system to fight the vaccine and do its job. Id wait till this is resolved. Ive seen too many bad results from vaccinations in cats lately and Im paranoid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She had her 2nd FVRCP 3 weeks ago - is it ok to wait to see if the fur thing clears up?

Around here, the vets and breeders love Royal Canin...she's from a breeder (I know, should have rescued a cat - all my previous cats have been rescues).

She just looks like a very short haired cat in the affected area right now - it's very even between her shoulders and tail, just short. I also had thought that perhaps she was recovering from the stress and her possibly not being very healthy when we got her.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The fact that she's not losing fur and has no bald patches (her coat is just a bit shorter in places) suggests that it's not likely ringworm (with ringworm she would have small bald spots). The fact that she shows no other signs of ill-health, irritation, etc. also suggests that the issue is not likely health related, but more stress related and/or normal shedding. Still, to be on the safe side, you should call your vet to see what he/she thinks, or have the vet look at the kitten when you take her in, and if there's cause for concern, you can delay the vaccine.

As for Royal Canin, all vets and many breeders seem to love Royal Canin, but it's not a high-quality food. You'll see Royal Canin sold at many vet offices, which is likely why they recommend it. I listen to my vet when it comes to health issues, but not nutrition. I adopted Muffin from a breeder and she too was on Royal Canin (baby food), but I switched her shortly after I adopted her.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
...she's from a breeder (I know, should have rescued a cat - all my previous cats have been rescues).
I don't think anyone would condemn you. Just keep supporting and helping the rescues & TNR groups. That is what is going to make the real difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. She is acting as crazy as a typical kitten, so I am hoping is just from stress. For now we have a lion - long fur around her face and tail, short fur on most of her body. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts