Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked a thousand times before, so if someone can point me to a thread on it, that would be fine.

I am persuaded as to the benefits of a raw diet. I am feeding my cats EVO wet, Weruva wet and Wellness wet, with some EVO dry, plus fish oil, so they are not doing badly, but I would like to do the best there is for them, health and nutrition-wise. I just don't want to switch cold turkey, so to speak.

Is there such a thing as one meal a day raw, the other two what they have now, to allow both them and me to transition to it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I mix my cats raw with their canned, Natures' Variety Instinct and don't have a problem with any of them and Jasper has a pretty sensitive tummy.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
We give Gracie one raw meal and one canned per day, she appears to be getting the benefits of both - the plus side of raw and also more variety in terms of meats via canned than I can find locally. Ideally I would feed entirely raw. This seems to be a nice compromise...

:) Fran

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My kittens eat raw "snacks" sometimes when I am cooking people food & they are okay with it. Of course, its nothing "fancy," just some chicken breast, beef, a shrimp, etc.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
Is there such a thing as one meal a day raw, the other two what they have now, to allow both them and me to transition to it? Thanks in advance.
Generally that's not the best idea. Commercial food, dry and canned, is very smelly--far more so than raw meat. If the kitty still has crack available, she's not gonna go for the good stuff. ;)

Here are some suggestions re: transitioning.

Practical Guide

Get the kitty on a meal system first (no kibble left available) and then mix in raw into canned (if necessary--some cats don't need this step so try it plain first!), reducing the canned and increasing the raw as quickly as possible.

·
Banned
952 Posts
This has probably been asked a thousand times before, so if someone can point me to a thread on it, that would be fine.

I am persuaded as to the benefits of a raw diet. I am feeding my cats EVO wet, Weruva wet and Wellness wet, with some EVO dry, plus fish oil, so they are not doing badly, but I would like to do the best there is for them, health and nutrition-wise. I just don't want to switch cold turkey, so to speak.

Hi, NewRescuedDad! Welcome to the raw side! :)

There are as many ways to transition cats from commercial to raw as there are cats. :) Some cats will take to raw immediately and not even need any transition time. My own cats did this... their very first raw meal was half-frozen chicken breast and they were so doggone excited about it that they were ripping pieces off faster than I could cut. *shakes head*

Here is my transition, if you're interested: Melamine to Frankenprey: A Documented Journey

Here are some links to articles on transitioning tips and tricks:

FNES-HowToTransitionYourCatToARawDiet

CatInfo.org-TipsforTransitioningKibbleAddictsToCanned

CatNutrition.org-PersuadingYourCatToEatTheFood

Hope you find some of this helpful!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent, thanks to all, and especially Auntie C for all the links. Plenty to read, but, fingers crossed, it doesn't sound as hard to transition as I might have believed. Since I've just gotten a relatively stable situation in the house with four rescue cats in six months, two of which haven't gotten along until very recently, I'm going to let things settle down for a few weeks first. But since I believe going with nature's diet and an indoor environment gives them the best of both worlds, it's something I know I'm going to try. SOunds like I should start paying a lot of attention to FNES, too!

·
Banned
952 Posts
Excellent, thanks to all, and especially Auntie C for all the links. Plenty to read, but, fingers crossed, it doesn't sound as hard to transition as I might have believed. Since I've just gotten a relatively stable situation in the house with four rescue cats in six months, two of which haven't gotten along until very recently, I'm going to let things settle down for a few weeks first. But since I believe going with nature's diet and an indoor environment gives them the best of both worlds, it's something I know I'm going to try. SOunds like I should start paying a lot of attention to FNES, too!
Good to hear things are settling down for you. It's always nice to be able to slide into a routine after an upheaval. :)

And, yeah, FNES, they rock! Are you a member yet?

Keep us informed, NewRescueDad; I love hearing transition stories :love2 and if you run into some resistance, we might be able to help. (My favorite enticement is "Whole Life's Freeze-Dried Chicken" - I've not had a cat turn it down yet. LOL!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts