Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching my cats fight over a mouse about a week ago and it was so funny to watch them beat the crap out of the mouse, so I went to the pet store that weekend and bought 2 mice one for each of my cats, now these are feeder mice, the kind you feed to snakes. Now I dont know what they do to those feeder mice, but they were a disappointment to me and my cats. The mice would try to run away from my cats for a little while, but after about 30 to 45 seconds they just got into the middle of the floor and sat down. My cats looked at each other in disbelief at what they were seeing, then they looked back down at the mice and stared at them for a moment before getting bored with them. Finally they began to slap the mice around the floor, slapping them into the air, and against the wall, and the mice never made another attempt to try and run away, they just allowed themselves to be beaten. I think I will buy a couple more mice this weekend, but im going to try and figure out a way to get them to eat some caffeine before letting my cats have at them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Poor snakes! They don't know their food is being played with! :roll: actully, it's a bit of a shock to me, too. I can't imagine anybody buying mice just to let the cats kill them! :cry: WHY would you buy mice just to let your cats kill them??????? I enjoy watching them stalk prey too, & I understand that they're feeder mice, but it's not only a waste of money to buy something just to throw away, but it's animal cruelty, basically speaking! Think about it....:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
917 Posts
one time an old roommate of mine caught a bunch of mice in the restaurant he worked at and brought them home to set loose in the house for his 2 cats. i was pretty mad, especially since i was the one who kept finding poor dead mangled mice everywhere.

katman, i really don't think thats a very humane thing to do. i think you should try a better, less violent way to entertain your cats.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you thinking that being "feeder" mice, they don't feel every pain that courses through their bodies every time a claw or tooth pierces them? Your actions are no less offensive than those that procure cats for their dogs to shred. Cruelty is cruelty regardless of the species. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reply to replies

I enjoy watching animals hunt prey especially cats. I dont mean to be cruel it just interests me. I love the way a cat will stalk and stare at their prey. I have recorded shows from t.v. of cats hunting for their food, hiding in tall grass and slowly sneaking up on the animal they want to eat until they feel like they are close enough to catch their prey then they very quickly lunge from the tall grass charging toward their prey, leaping on top of them, thrusting their claws into the flesh of the animal and pulling it down to the ground so it can its mouth around the neck of the animal to kill it quickly so it can eat it before other predators can come steal it from him or her. We like to think of our cats as cute and cuddly without the ability to hurt another animal, but its just a natural act for them to hunt, they are carnivors. I think its probably good to let your cat out to hunt for other small animals or bring them mice to hunt so that they can keep their hunting skills honed. What I love about Cats is the fact that they will hunt for their food. A stray cat will survive on his or her own hunting skills. A stray dog will starve to death if he cant scavange or have other people feed him. When I think cruelty I think of what takes place to get the meat in our burgers at Mcdonalds or Burger King. Those poor animals are lined up to have their throats cut one by one, and we think that they are too stupid to know what is going on because they are animals, but they know. Most of us are like the dog, if we were not fed :wink: then we would starve.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your cats could play and "hone their hunting skills" with fake mice, the kind that move around. It's disgusting that you cause a defenseless creature to suffer so you can have a few minutes of entertainment. Those mice are probably quite young with little survival instinct. You are very cruel, regardless of your intentions. Hopefully you will think twice about "giving" your cats mice again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My cats stalk and hunt a toy lizard I put on the floor for them. They swat and pounce on their fake mice toys. There is absolutely no need to put an animal through pain and torture for the sake of enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'd stick with play mice. They won't bring disease into your house. If a mouse happens to get away from your cats it could start spreading around the Hante virus, an airborne disease that kills humans.

·
Registered
122 Posts
have you even thought about purchasing a laser pointer for them to hunt? i'm sure they'll enjoy it as much as the mice. it's more entertaining IMO.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Omg, the poor mice! Bringing mice home can be bloody and infectious. The mice may bring some disease and it can affect you and your cats. Hopefully you think twice before buying some more mice for them to play with.... :(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Feeder mice for snakes is different than playthings for cats. Just because it "entertains you" doesn't mean it's good for your cats or not cruel to the mice. Think about how a snake catches and eats a mouse, compared to your cats batting mice around, playing with them, while the mice slowly die from the treatment. Your cats are DOMESTIC animals. They don't need to catch and eat live prey to "practice" -- hunting is their instinct but they *are* domestic. They are NOT living in the wild. They've gotten used to dry food and window seats and wand toys and cute little kitty beds and all the things we do to take care of our DOMESTIC cats. What you're doing to the mice is cruel, there's no excuse for it. We make toys for domestic cats because eating mice and rodents like wild cats can be dangerous for your cats. Didn't you even consider this? A snake's body is very different than a cat's. Think about that -- you're putting them in danger just because you think it's "interesting" to watch them kill. You have an issue...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shocked. :shock:

Angry :x

Feeder mice. Is that a different species of mice or something? They are still mice, still alive, and still feel pain.

I bet you wouldn't be so entertained if you got kicked around by a larger cat and then got beaten.

How Rude.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It's best not to encourage people who post for shock value. This person already got his kicks. I think this thread had long outlived any value it had, and that was nil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.